Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Paint Chip Protection

V

VetteFanatic

Whats the forum's ideas on which paint protection options to use. I've seen the discussions on the clearcoat that is pressionally applied and also the press on clear that is done with water. I cringe at the thought of that first big paint chip !!

Thanks,
Mike

:beer Well Mike,
I can sympathize with you. I feel the same way. When we went down to Nashville last year I bought a speed bra and had it installed at the museum before we started the trip back home to Detroit. Good thing I did. While on the road back the car in front of me kicked up a beer can that bounced off of the divider and came flying into my hood. The bra did the job and I didn't have a mark at all.
I also bought the clear protectors that you apply with soapy water. They work well, but... you have to be careful when washing. A strong blast of water will peel them off. And a hard rain will likely do the same. I lost one already. I also take them off for the winter when I store. I noticed when I took them off that they stopped a lot of grease and tar that normally would have been on the paint. I will scrub them up and re-install in the spring for another season. So far, my baby only has one little chip that is almost invisible! Good luck.
Stan :beer :w

C_Dogg said:
:beer Well Mike,
I can sympathize with you. I feel the same way. When we went down to Nashville last year I bought a speed bra and had it installed at the museum before we started the trip back home to Detroit. Good thing I did. While on the road back the car in front of me kicked up a beer can that bounced off of the divider and came flying into my hood. The bra did the job and I didn't have a mark at all.
I also bought the clear protectors that you apply with soapy water. They work well, but... you have to be careful when washing. A strong blast of water will peel them off. And a hard rain will likely do the same. I lost one already. I also take them off for the winter when I store. I noticed when I took them off that they stopped a lot of grease and tar that normally would have been on the paint. I will scrub them up and re-install in the spring for another season. So far, my baby only has one little chip that is almost invisible! Good luck.
Stan :beer :w
I wondered how the clear protectors worked out. Have to give them a try.

Wish I had something wrapping my car last fall when some jerk keyed me. :mad Front to back drivers side. :cry

I know how you feel, tproth. I have a '95 Bright Red Firebird w/T-tops. The car was less than 2 months old when some joker keyed it at a local shopping mall. At that point I decided that I would and could cripple anyone that I catch messing with my car. I will be getting a vette soon since the prices are right, the keying thing and the headlights (Firebird experience) are my only two concerns.

- Wisdom

Wisdom

Thanks for the remarks. Everything can be fixed. You just have to decide whether your Corvette will be babied or a daily driver. I wouldn't be concerned about the headlights. Congradultions in advance.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom