Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Paint "darkener"?

MusclecarJohn

Corvette
'92 arctic white coupe
Hey everyone, this is not necessarily a Vette question
but does anyone know of a darkening product that will darken factory silver paint? I had magnetic signs on my Sienna which is silver and now the paint where the signs were is lighter :confused weird huh??

The best that you will likely do is polishing the spot into the rest of the car. Silver oxidizes faster than other colors because silver tends to reflect more light within itself. You may also have a clear-coat thats got something to do with the discoloration. Clears will yellow.
It may be the rest of the car has darkened. The area under the signs was protected from the sunlight.

You'r so right about silver boomdriver,I will try to polish and blend, Thanks :thumb

I suspect the problem will fix itself over time. :w

Whalepirot, I suspect you are correct, It seems to be "healing" already :thumb

My last paint (8-10 yrs ago) was silver with Lt metalic. I was looking for a blue/silver similar to a c-3 color yrs ago but could not ID the right shade so I went with the silver. I was warned...lol.
The depth and gloss lasted a long time but now its become dull and lifeless looking even when polished. Thats from the paint oxidizing from within. This next paint (after removing the silver) will be a base color, either vette yellow, or GS purple. Silver is a great color but no matter what, UV radiation will do its damage and dull the finish. All you can do to slow that down is to keep it covered whenever you're not driving it.

I know boomdriver, especially Toyota's cheap a** paint lol

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom