Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Paint Questions....

TorchZ

Hi All -

Long time lurker here...I have a paint question (did the search function, but nothing really answered my question, unless I overlooked it). I maybe painting the Vette in the next year or two and I know it's been repainted once before back in the early 80's. My question is how do I know if it's been painted with laquer or a base/clear combo? I've been tempted to get a laquer paint job, but know the availability and price maybe a factor and the base/clear would be easier to maintain. Is there an easy way to tell the difference between the two? Thanks.

TorchZ said:
Hi All -

Long time lurker here...I have a paint question (did the search function, but nothing really answered my question, unless I overlooked it). I maybe painting the Vette in the next year or two and I know it's been repainted once before back in the early 80's. My question is how do I know if it's been painted with laquer or a base/clear combo? I've been tempted to get a laquer paint job, but know the availability and price maybe a factor and the base/clear would be easier to maintain. Is there an easy way to tell the difference between the two? Thanks.

Take a little (very small amount) lacquer thinner on a cotton rag and wipe on the paint in an area that will not show. You should see traces of paint on the rag if it is lacquer.

Ray

Easiest way is to take a cloth dampened in laquer thinner and rub the paint in an inconspicuous area and see if color comes off on the rag. Be careful where you do this because you could end up taking paint right off the car.

There are other visual clues if you're used to looking closely at paint.

If the paint looks a little thicker then it likely is enamel. A good place to see this is in the door jambs and small sharp creases and crevices. Enamel is thicker and will build up in these corners.

Lacquer is more prone to cracking or crazing over the years. If you see a lot of that or even some spider webing then it's likely lacquer.

Most cars repainted in the 80s were done in enamel, especially if they were painted in the high volume production shops like One-Day, Maaco or Earl Scheib. Most people weren't spending high dollars on paint jobs in those days.

Thanks for the responses guys. So there could be 3 possible paints? A laquer, enamel, or a base/clear? Is there any household items I could use? Don't have any laquer thinner or paint thinner for that matter and would hate to run out to get some only to use about a dime size worth....thanks again!!!

A car polish (not a wax) should give you similar, if not as dramatic, results as with lacquer thinner. Look for colour on the polishing rag. BC/CC should not show colour.

If it's enamel or acrylic Enamel with no clear coat it will come off on the rag Too, and lacquer thinner will most Likely make it wrinkle or blister!!:upthumbs

TorchZ said:
Thanks for the responses guys. So there could be 3 possible paints? A laquer, enamel, or a base/clear? Is there any household items I could use? Don't have any laquer thinner or paint thinner for that matter and would hate to run out to get some only to use about a dime size worth....thanks again!!!

How about nail polish remover? It has acetone in it. PT

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom