Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Paint touch up - would you? Paint experts, can you help with answer

longspur

Corvette
2001 Pewter convertible
We have a few scratches and stone chips through the clear that we would like to have taken care of.

Do you paint guys think it can be done with no evidence of touch-up now or down the road. I dont like the idea of having to paint an entire panel.

I would like to take it to some car shows but the scratches although not really seen unless you look close are there.

Car has multiple layers of zaino and the defects show up more than ever, again at a close glance.

any ideas

Thanks

I am going to take it to a body shop and have a professional do it. I was not thinking of doing this myself. Thanks for the info. as maybe this product would be good for some to use. My scatches are fairly long.

Talking to the paint guy I was thinking of using, does not think it is a big deal.

I just dont want it worse off than before. He is a good dealer painter/body guy but I figure there will be some paint experts on this site that can chime in.

I worked at a high-end body and paint shop here in Naples Fl.Most people with nice cars that had chips or something had the panel painted.It just looks better.A good eye can always tell a touch-up,my boss was real anal about that!Even more so if your showing it.Its really what you can live with.Of course there is always the money factor.

I worked at a high-end body and paint shop here in Naples Fl.Most people with nice cars that had chips or something had the panel painted.It just looks better.A good eye can always tell a touch-up,my boss was real anal about that!Even more so if your showing it.Its really what you can live with.Of course there is always the money factor.

So if they painter is good enough you beleive that painting the full panel will not be necessary? or should be done.

Like you said the better the painter the better the job should turn out. As long as they are honest with there skill level I should have no worries.

What I'am saying is any touch-up in the middle of a panel-door,fender is going to show you can't spot touch it up the whole panel must be sprayed to look right,chips on an edge are easier to 'fix'.Like I said before its really what YOU can live with.Vettes need to look RIGHT!I did touch-ups for customers that wanted that and they looked pretty good but money was always the factor .Most cust. did not care.But high-end porsche lexus vettes Bmw's want no issues and I don't blame them!Good luck.:w

If you trust the painter just tell him to do what needs to be done so it is perfect. It's that simple when you are dealing with top notch profesionals. If you have to worry about blending or shooting the whole panel, then you're dealing with the wrong people. That's a bodyshop decision.

If you trust the painter just tell him to do what needs to be done so it is perfect. It's that simple when you are dealing with top notch profesionals. If you have to worry about blending or shooting the whole panel, then you're dealing with the wrong people. That's a bodyshop decision.
Yes, I will have to talk with him to make darn sure he knows exactly what I am looking to have done. I really dont want to go the whole panel route for these small scratches.

Why would you not want to go the whole panel route?

Because my previous experience with a white 84 vette I had. It ended up being three different shades of white.

I dont want the same to happen with this one.

The hardest part for any professional painter when respraying a panel is duplicating that factory orange peel ;LOL :rotfl :L

Longspur, if the painter sucks, it does'nt matter if he does a blend or sprays the whole panel, that's the point I'm trying to get across. For me personally, I don't care what technique the painter employs as long as the job is flawless. That's what you need to worry about. Don't get bogged down in a conversation with these guys on how they are gonna do it, it gives them wiggle room if it does'nt come out right. They will say things like" well mabee we shoulda shot the whole panel", or " mabee we shoulda did a blend" you see? Just drop the car off to a top guy and tell him that you are Vette crazy and fix it right.

pac-man, your correct - have to talk with him again without beer in hand so he is listening and fully understands.

:beer

Brent

It's just a car with paint. Buy a kit and do it yourself. It's easy and satisfying to things for yourself.

Of course, if your paint has been sand blasted from road debris, then talking to a paint shop would be in order.

It's just a car with paint. Buy a kit and do it yourself. It's easy and satisfying to things for yourself.

Of course, if your paint has been sand blasted from road debris, then talking to a paint shop would be in order.

No way will I be attempting to paint this car. ;LOL;LOL;LOLyour alot more daring than me.

No way will I be attempting to paint this car. ;LOL;LOL;LOLyour alot more daring than me.

I wasn't suggesting you repaint the whole car, but just learn how to do the little touch up jobs on the little stuff. My '98 coupe is torch red, so I always make sure I have a red Sharpie in my console in case I need a quick "fix" at a show or cruise in. But, I fill in chips and scratches with a paint pen normally. Judges never know the diff! ;LOL

Yeah, they call me fixvet because I do alot of my own things with my vette. That, plus my last name is Fixsen and my nickname for the last 60+ yrs has been "Fix". So when I decided to get personal plates I thought Fix & Vet would go together. And I'm a Viet Nam veteran, so you could say that's part of it too. I'm "FixVet" on alot of forums. :thumb

How about just taking out the car with light grit and then renewal of the clear coat?

What kind of dollars do they charge for this kind of stuff?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom