Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Paint

81L81

Corvette
81 White Coupe
Any suggestions on getting a decent paint job while saving some cash? I can prep and do basic body work myself. I was thinking of finding someone from a local shop to spray it after hours. Also does anyone know someone that will paint in their shop after hours in the NY "Long Island" area?

Thanks for your help.

Abet the slings and arrows...

The story comes with the recommendation ;)

I know a guy that has a 1981 White Corvette. The poor thing had been neglected for years and he was in the process of bring her back to life. He was at the point of getting a hole patched and have it painted.

I saw the car during the restoration (getting her purty and road worthy) then didn't see him or his car for a couple of months. Then one Sunday morning Ma and I go out for breakfast and in the parking lot is a gorgeous White 1981. You know I had to walk over and check it out, it really looked new, I thought I recognized the seats but wasn't sure.

We go into the resturant and low and behold there sits the guy and his wife. After breakfast we all go to leave and I had to take another look at his paint job... it was done by Miracle Auto Body in Modesto, CA :eek and it looked like a $6,000 paint job. He supplied the paint and Miracle did a little finish prep, masked and sprayed it...

Needless to say I took Rare to the same body shop. After talking to the manager, I was convinced they would paint Rare.. Dupont Chormin Base/Clear Coat 2 shots, they did all the wet sanding and cleanup, except the engine compartment had a bit of wet sand material splattered around and I cleaned that up.

I'm very pleased with the job and it was $1,800 for everything ;)

I found out talking to the manager, they paint A LOT OF HOTRODS... it makes sense once he explained... the money is from the front end of the business, INSURANCE claims, they make money on the others but they don't make that their business. Alot of the HotRods they've done have won many trohpies, even at Hot August Nights in Reno.. oh, back to why they do such a good job... The same painter that paints 6 to 15 cars a day for work, runs the gun with the GOOD PAINT in it for the hotrods, and from practice on the INSURANCE Cars, he was dam good with the gun ;)

Find a shop like this one and I think you would be happy with the results. Oh and they also painted a friend of mines 1990 ZR-1 BLACK and he has won several trophies at different shows around Sacramento ~ Modesto ;)

Ok donning my defector shield...

Bud

Thanks, Very helpfull.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom