Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Painting 88 wheels.

M

Mart

I have 88 wheels on my vette that are in need of some TLC, I have stripped the clear off and tried to polish, but there is some light pitting.

Short of having a shop sand and polish them, has anyone painted thier wheels, I am thinking of doing this and wondering if any has done it and has pics.

Mart

I did some Photshop work and here is what I am thinking.
1. is stock aluminum
2. is sort of gunmetal grey
3. Black
aluminum.jpg

dark silver.jpg

black.jpg

I would just leave them the polished, mad-mic used Wenol and his rimes now are like mirrors. I have a set of the same rims, just haven't had the time to finish stripping them and polishing them.

Mart said:
I have 88 wheels on my vette that are in need of some TLC, I have stripped the clear off and tried to polish, but there is some light pitting.

Short of having a shop sand and polish them, has anyone painted thier wheels, I am thinking of doing this and wondering if any has done it and has pics.

Mart

I gave up on clearing the wheels as it would just peel off in a couple of years. Now I just use Mother's Aluminum polish a couple of times a year. They look great.

I also bought a polish kit that has tripoli white (which is a buffing compound). You can really make these shine up nice.

I agree, I like the polished look but how do you remove the light pitting.

I was hoping to keep that factory machined look, not sure if the is possible while trying to get rid of the pitting.

Mart

Are you using some type of adapters with those wheels? Course I'm partial to black on the white :L
Nice photoshop job :upthumbs

Yeah I am using 5/8 adapters the work great. The photochop worked great, I was thinking of trying a few other colours.

Mart

Mart, Can you post some pics of your wheels. I would think the pitting would be in the clear, but if you have stripped that then the metal is pitted. If the metal is pitted, you probably would have to wet sand them with several grits or something. Or use several different grades of steal whool, just like you would wet sand.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom