Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Painting and Stripping

donnie_19

Corvette
1978 C3
Getting ready to tackle the paint on my 78. Worked out a pretty good deal with a local body shop to paint and I get to do most of the muscle with his guidance. The vette has been painted white two times and am planning on soda blasting down to the original primer and going back to the factory red. The question is how are the emblems removed and can they be reused? One on the nose and gas cap and two on front fenders.

The emblems in earlier years were held on with a couple of different schemes. Some used nuts on the back, some used "barrel nuts" the emblems just push into, and later they used molding attachment tape. For that one, use a heat gun to soften the tape, then a piece of fishing line to "saw" the tape.

All the ones on my Silver Anniversary look to be held on with nuts. It's just a matter of reaching in and around to undo them.

Purchase the assembly instruction manual (AIM). It will show you how the emblems were installed. Will also help when the car is out of the paint shop.

:thumb

I have the assembly manual. Unfortunately it doesn't show what the previous owner has done. It has previously been painted twice.

I have the assembly manual. Unfortunately it doesn't show what the previous owner has done. It has previously been painted twice.
If that's the case, who knows. I would look for the OEM attachment first (the barrel nuts) and then break out the fishing line to cut adhesive if they weren't bolted down.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom