Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Painting Calipers & Lettering on a 2000

Greg C

Corvette
2000 Convertible;Bowling Green Metalic
I want to paint my calipers a different color (yellow) and also paint the "Corvette" lettering black. Have seen the caliper painting kits for $40.00. Has anyone had good (or Bad) success with these. Also need advice on what to use to paint the lettering with. Thanks.

Greg
Being the frugle yankee that I am, I had a hard time with the $40 price of a caliper paint kit. After a few hours of research, I came up with a caliper paint kit by Duplicolor that was on sale for $16.95. I contacted Duplicolor via their web page to find a local dealer only to find out that none stocked it, however NAPA is a master distributor I was advised. The local NAPA very willingly ordered the kit, (silver was my choice) and it came the next day. I put it on with a small bristle brush, from the kit. I'm happy with the result. I also painted the lettering, with a high temp black that I bought at the local Walmart for $5. Any high temp paint would work I think as long as you clean the brake caliper first with brake cleaner(also in the kit). Make certain that you allow at least 24 hours dry time before you drive your corvette so that the paint can air cure before any heat is applied.

Your car is green wirh a tan gut and you want to paint your calipers yellow with black letters? Hmm. You should paint them black, then grind the paint off the letters with a small grind attachment on a dremel tool. Apply clear nail polish to the letters to seal. Much better look to fit the classy, laid back color of the Bowling Green. The yellow looks like crap in a week anyway, brake dust kills the color.

About a year and a half ago I painted my calipers red and the letters black using Rustoleum paint in a can that I applied with a foam brush after cleaning thoroughly. I put 4 coats of red and 1 black. It turned out very good and still looks like the day that i did it.

Don't know about the calipers but i ordered sticker inserts for the lettering in the back of the car from www.pfyc.com The stickers are guaranteed for life and they're reflective. Also unless your up close you would think they were painted they fit so well but have the added property of being reflective. I'm very happy.

Check your local WalMart for the Duplicolor caliper paint kit. The Wally near me had them for around 15 or 16 bucks and it's a fairly small store. They had the kits in Red or Yellow.

I used the red kit this spring and found it to be real easy to work with and seems to be holding up pretty good.

GT

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom