Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Painting to match

Chetzki

Corvette
1996 Torch Red LT4 Coupe
I have a torch red 1996 and a piece about 4"x4" is broken out of the rocker panel. I already have a GM replacement rocker panel and was thinking of removing the one I have, taking both to a reputable body shop and asking them to paint the new one to match.

What do I need to ask/look for? Surface prep? how many coats? clearcoat? what type of paint? Will they color match or should I be asking for the original paint. Being 10+ years old, I'm not sure how new paint would look like against the "aged" paint. I believe it has spent all it's time inside though. Except for rock chips, the paint looks really good and is very smooth.

I know nothing about auto paint. I'm not looking to save money, just a quality paint job that will reasonably match the rest of my car. At least it's in a place where it would be hard to tell if it's a perfect match.

Thanks in advance!

Chetzki

If it was me, I'd have them both painted. Bring the broken one along to be used as the paint match sample. Prep work is expensive because it is so time-consuming. You can assure yourself of an excellent, flawless base layer--and save some money--by sanding and priming them yourself. Then all the shop has to do is spray and clearcoat them.

I don't think you're going to have to worry about color matching the rocker panels to the doors because they are so far under the car. As far as the type of paint, I can't help you. However, given the location, I would look for a more durable, flexible paint. Failing that, I would look for a paint that can be easily touched up.

My '90's rockers are sandblasted and loaded with rock chips. I'll have to research a flexible paint that is less likely to chip. Failing that, I'll just have to use DupliColor or something like that.

Good luck and let us know how they came out.

Wireman, I think your advice is really on target.

I would make one exception, however, regarding the use of Duplicolor on your rockers. (By the way, both mine are leaning against one of the bookshelves here in the office as I've got the same gravel garble.)

I painted my fuel door with duplicolor, let it cure in the hot Arkansas sun for a day, but still found it to be soft enough that accidental fingernail-scratches almost happen automatically.

I visited the DuPont site and found some great information there. If any of you are inclined to do your own paint work, registration is free. Just let them know that you're a Corvette owner who's into doing his own rapairs and they'll approve your registration application.
http://www.performancecoatings.dupont.com/bowstreet5/webengine/dpc/common/Controller

Here we go

I took the new rocker panel and the good, used one to the shop today for painting. I'm excited to get this done. i took the advice to get them both done. I was amazed by all the junk up under the rocker panel!

Chetzki

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom