Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Paranoid

Z

ZR100060

Am I the only one who is afraid to drive their Z06. In beautiful southern Calif. we have a freeway system that was built to accomodate probably one third of the cars and SEMI-TRUCKS now using it. I've only had my car 3 weeks but I am a nervous wreck when on the freeways. Cars on my bumper, trucks on either side, idiots and whackos around every corner. I go out of my way to find a "safe" parking spot at the mall, and when I return the spots on either side have been taken by refugees from destruction derby. The only solution is to move, but that is impossible. I'm sure all of you Corvette drivers have had experiences similar to mine. Maybe if I triple-up on my Prozac in the morning I would'nt notice the insanity as much?

I lived in LA until 98.... :mad My choices finally dropped to 2. Prozak or move to another state. Elected to move to Jacksonville, FL.

Less people, less cars, open roads... All in all a better place to live.. :L

Drop the prozak, move to another state. :j

I drove mine to the "City" last week for the first time. I have never driven more carefully, observant and reserved in all my life! The worst part was parking!!!!!!! It all worked out ok, but I'll probably let my wife drive it to work next time and take the Suburban. - almost just as scary!

At man’s core there is a voice that wants him never to give in to fear. But if it is true that in general man cannot give in to fear, at the very least he postpones indefinitely the moment when he will have to confront himself with the object of his fear … when he will no longer have the assistance of reason as guaranteed by God, or when he will no longer have the assistance of God such as reason guaranteed. It is necessary to recoil, but it is necessary to leap, and perhaps one only recoils in order to leap better.

~ Georges Bataille (1897–1962), French novelist, critic

Old n Slow,
Speaking as an ex New Yorker who worked in Manhattan everyday:cry :hb :cry
MOVE:L :L :L

I am terrified to drive my Vette on the freeway, and I have a 27 year old C3. I used to bring it to work once or twice a week, and white knuckled it all the way. It's not worth it. I am convinced everybody is out to damage it. I save it for weekend enjoyment. The absence of it during the week makes my heart grow fonder :love

Here's my story

I work outdoors for Home Depot and yesterday, this lady had purposely put a lumber cart up against a guys trailer that he was towing on the back of his pickup. I walk up to her and say, "Right up against his trailer huh?" She replies, "Yeah, it would've blown over and hit it anyways." So, while she and her guy friend are leaving, he gives me this dirty stare and says something. With his window rolled up, I didn't know what he was saying but I'm sure it wasn't "Have a nice day."

I almost blew a gasket in my brain with rage. How do these people have the audacity to try and purposely damage someone elses personal property?

Your paranoia isn't unordinary, but there's a flip side to that. I've seen C5's parked across two spaces. Trust me, if you do that, you'll have some unwanted racing stripes on the side of your car and the person who did it will be long gone by the time you get outside. And no one will take pity on you if you park your car across two spots.

But then again, I was guilty of parking across 3 spots. What happened next was funny, a C5 does the same thing right in front of me; 2 Corvette's taking up 6 parking spots.

I'm sorry if I strayed off the subject. But I almost hit a guy on a motorcycle once because he couldn't see me. I pull up next to him and ask him if he's allright. He says, "Yeah man, I'm sorry. You were so low to the ground I couldn't see you."

I know how you feel. With the car so to the ground and those 18 wheelers all you can see is rubber and wheels.
:j

Strange, while I was a little paranoid when it came to driving my Vette, I'd much rather have been driving it than my '74 GMC Jimmy. My Jimmy was in great shape for a '74, only had 120,000 original miles on it when I sold it, but you know how sturdy those things were, compared to the plastic of most of todays vehicles. However, I gladly traded all that for the "explosion in accident" glass of my Vette. Reasons? I felt safer knowing I had passing power in my Vette. Should I have to pass, or make a manuver to aviod some idiot, I knew the Vette would get me out of trouble better than my slow Jimmy. Of course, knowing it would explode on impact in an accident also made me a safer driver, avoiding those situations at all cost. For some reason, parking didn't frighten me much either. Of course, I would always be the car a mile from the store in the parking lot with an empty space all on all sides. But no matter what, I'd always come outside to find cars parked next to me. Why do people do that? :L

I guess living in a smaller town than most helps some, but our interstate, Fort Collins to Denver, CO on I-25 is one of the busiest interstates in the country, and only 2 lanes to boot. I guess I just try to be careful. With my Ty, I feel the most comfortable of all. Power, AWD, and it's not a Vette. Looking like a nice S-15 Jimmy keeps people off my tail and from trying to run me over.

-T Jay

Maybe a mask to protect the nose might help a bit... all those vehicles can pick up rocks and debris and get them airborne.

People park next to our Vettes for the same reason why 10 cars line up at the toll booth instead of going to the open lane or standing in line for the elevator instead of getting on the one that opens 2 doors away or ...... It just is part of the Corevette experience?!

Steve
:w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom