Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Parking brake adjustment

minifridge1138

Corvette
1982 Black Fastback
Hey everyone,

I need to adjust my parking brake because it isn't holding very well.
I have the service manual, but i'm a little confused by it.

It says to loosen the equalizer check nuts, but i'm not sure where those are.

I understand the part about rotating the disk until the adjusting screw can be seen. But then it says: "Insert an adjusting tool or screwdriver through the hole in the disc and tighten the adjusting screw by moving your hand away from the floor on both the left and right sides."

What does it mean "moving your hand away from the floor"?

All help is appreciated!

Stick a screwdriver in the hole to the rear adjusters, and with the tip as far toward the axle center, raise your hand, turning the adjuster CCW as viewed from the front. Tighten them up until you can't turn the hub/rotor, then back off 3 or 4 teeth- just enough the brakes don't drag. Then tighten the cable until 1/2 to 3/4 of the travel of the park brake lever is all you get. The service manual has you back them off more and count 14 teeth on the brake lever lock. I like them a bit tighter.

Mini,
Underneath the car you should see where the parking brake cable comes from the handle, thru the floor, back towards the rear wheels. The adjusting nuts are where the handle cable ends and meets up with the one that goes to each rear brake....
Def. do as Tim suggests, make sure the brakes are adjusted then worry about the cable tension.
If yours is anything like mine (old and stretched) you may have to replace the cable to get any kind of holding power. Seems like I have to yank my handle into the luggage compartment to get it to hold well enuff to pass inspection!

If yours is anything like mine (old and stretched) you may have to replace the cable to get any kind of holding power. Seems like I have to yank my handle into the luggage compartment to get it to hold well enuff to pass inspection!
Heck,I always thought C3's were that way from the factory!!!:boogie:boogie:boogie Roady's right about the stretched cables!!:upthumbs

Try this as well.

Hi after you have finished adjusting your parking brake, do this take your vette to a parking lot or somewhere theres no trafic, at approx 30 40 mph, apply the parking brake fairly hard, and do the same in reverse at approx 20 30mph, do this a few times and you will find your brake will work alot better, this because it beds the shoes in and frees up the cables and surface of the shoes, because of non use over the years.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom