Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Parking Brake handle assembly

glazounov

Corvette
1994 "Arrest-Me-Red" LT-1 Convertible
Hi everyone,

How difficult is it to replace the Parking Brake handle assembly on a 94 convertible? Mine is apparently broken, and the dealer quotes appx $160.00 for parts (new) and labor to replace it. My buddy has the complete handle assembly for a 93 (which he says is the same) that he will sell me for $25.

My questions - what am I getting into (seat removal?), what tools are required(?), and especially cable adjustment or calibration so that the brake engages and disengages properly and the brake light works correctly. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Up-side to the dealer repair: They always give me a TOTAL 12 month 12,000 mile full guarantee on all repairs (which is great, but how important for a parking brake?).

Thanks a million, you guys!

Denny

glazounov said:
Hi everyone,

How difficult is it to replace the Parking Brake handle assembly on a 94 convertible? Mine is apparently broken, and the dealer quotes appx $160.00 for parts (new) and labor to replace it.

Just wondering, why do you say it is "apparently" broken?

What is wrong

I also am curious what you mean by apparently broken. Perhaps like me you have not found the right sequence of lifting and pushing the button to activate the parking brake. The first time I got mine to stay on I could not get it to release until I learned to pull up on the lever and push the button at the same time. At least I think that's what I did but I am having a Senior moment since it has been over a year since I used the PB. I think.:confused

John Robinson said:
I also am curious what you mean by apparently broken. Perhaps like me you have not found the right sequence of lifting and pushing the button to activate the parking brake. The first time I got mine to stay on I could not get it to release until I learned to pull up on the lever and push the button at the same time. At least I think that's what I did but I am having a Senior moment since it has been over a year since I used the PB. I think.:confused

Gotcha. I ALWAYS use the PB, so I definitely know how to operate it. In fact, I've even had to enlighten a few MECHANICS on the correct operation (with the button, and the handle that pushes down, etc., etc.). Last week, I heard a "thud," and originally thought the cable had broken or had become disconnected, but my dealer told me that the assembly itself was broken. I don't know how, why, etc., but APPARENTLY the part that attaches to the cable had broken somehow.

I guess I should have just said, IT'S BROKEN. My fault.

Parking brake

So, anyway ... any help (or opinions) on my original question?

Thanks in advance!

Denny

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom