Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Parking Brake Rebuild

minifridge1138

Corvette
1982 Black Fastback
Hello everyone,

I parked my car today, put on the parking brake, and it rolled down my driveway. How difficult is it to rebuild / replace shoes on the parking brake of a 1982 Corvette?

I have tons of service manuals, so I know how to do the job. I'm just wondering if it is a difficult job.

Thanks!

The calipers and rotors have to come off, and assuming you're not going to remove the rear spindles, there's a tech article on the Rowley Corvette website on replacing the park brake parts with the spindles in place. :)

This will help as well.

PBshoes.jpg

I didn't know they could be adjusted.

I'll look in my GM Shop Manual and see the process.
For all I know, it could have the original shoes.
I know a lot of people that don't bother with a parking brake on an Automatic transmission.

I didn't know they could be adjusted.

I'll look in my GM Shop Manual and see the process.
For all I know, it could have the original shoes.
I know a lot of people that don't bother with a parking brake on an Automatic transmission.

See that torpedo shaped device in the lower portion of GTR1999's photo?

Take notice of the little gears/cogs. You will use these to turn the barrel of the device - in doing so, it adjusts the mini drum brake. There are holes in the rotor that provide access to the gears. I use a small scewdriver to turn the gears, but I believe there may be a special tool for the job. I hope this makes sense.
:beer

Hello again, You might just need an adjustment:
To do that install the rotor and secure with the lug nuts, then insert a screwdriver and lift the handle away from the floor. When tight back off 7 to 9 teeth, the rotor should spin without serious drag.
Then adjust the cables for final hold which is 14 clicks on the parking brake handle. Hope that helps, PG.

My experience w/ the 67 and 68 was that once I exposed the parking brake calipers, they were totally rusted and dissfunctional. If your at all mechanical you should do fine w/ a good set of directions. And if you need help, just ask..
1968corvette-deliveryday010.jpg

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom