Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Parking left on

jmbatt

Corvette
93 Comp. Yellow Coupe
Just happened..... My daughter took the vette on an errand. She had to use the parking brake and then forgot(?) it was on and drove home, about 3 miles. Boy did it smell! Question: besides my daughter, is the car going to be okay? Thanks.

The pads may have gotten glazed, and a slight possibility that the rotors got hot enough to warp them a little. Depends on the speed it was driven at.The warp you will know about quite quickly because you will get a pulse in the brake pedal and may even feel it in the car itself. The glaze may wear off ,if not remove them and work them over with some sand paper.

Glenn
:w

If the car is an automatic I wouldn't worry about it too much unless, as G Winter said, the rotors warped. ( I could never understand why one needs a parking brake with an automatic.) If its a 6 speed than pull the rear wheels and check the p-brqke and pads.

If you park on a hill with an automatic its better if you use the parking brake to keep the load off the transmission. One way to check if your parking brake needs adjustment is to park on flat roadway and apply the parking brake. Rock the car forward and backwards and notice if the tires move or not. If they do re-adjust it.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom