Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Passenger Side Temp. Control

RonnieH

Corvette
2012 Crystal Red Metallic
Adjusting the passenger side temp. control knob does not show any change on the display. I have followed troubleshooting items referenced in other posts. First, there are no HVAC codes. Pulled fuse 27 and replaced after a few minutes w/o any success. When turning the passenger side knob from stop to stop, I can hear a popping sound in the dash - I assume it is the actuator. The same sound can be heard when adjusting the knob on the driver's side.

I'm hoping someone will respond with further troubleshooting items. I can live w/o the system operating as designed, I just don't like things not working as they should. My wife and I have different ideas about what a comfortable temp. is, so I would like to be able to control passenger and driver side temps. to satisfy both of us.

Thanks for any help.

Adjusting the passenger side temp. control knob does not show any change on the display. I have followed troubleshooting items referenced in other posts. First, there are no HVAC codes. Pulled fuse 27 and replaced after a few minutes w/o any success. When turning the passenger side knob from stop to stop, I can hear a popping sound in the dash - I assume it is the actuator. The same sound can be heard when adjusting the knob on the driver's side.

Underdash popping noises when you work the HVAC controls is not good.

I'm hoping someone will respond with further troubleshooting items. I can live w/o the system operating as designed, I just don't like things not working as they should. My wife and I have different ideas about what a comfortable temp. is, so I would like to be able to control passenger and driver side temps. to satisfy both of us.

Thanks for any help.

I'm a little confused. You said you can live without the system operating as designed. You also said you don't like things not working as they should and that you want to control the driver and passenger side temps.

So...which is it?

Do you want the system working right or not?

If you do and you are going to tackle the repairs on a DIY basis, my next question is: Do you have the set of Factory Service Manuals?

Factory Manuals

I would like to have the system working as designed. For this particular option, if it can be fixed DIY, I'm all for that. It is just an inconvenience that to me is not worth taking it to a dealer and leaving it for a couple of days. I'm in a rural area and the nearest dealer w/a good Corvette mechanic is about 70 miles.

Regarding service manuals, I have thought about buying a set, but have not as of now.

OK, big picture, there is nothing wrong with your passenger side control as I see it. When you adjust the passenger side control it does not display anything in the center display. Adjusting the knob only allows the passenger to heat or cool that side in relation to what the driver has set for the car. When the passenger side knob is at 12 o'clock then both sides should be heated or cooled the same.

This should have been in the owners manual but it is not.

You are not the first person who has asked about this. When I bought my car I thought there was a problem until I did a little digging.

You're right

dadaroo,

I came to this same conclusion just a few minutes ago and logged into the site so I could clarify.

I guess what triggered me to think there was a problem, my wife and I had the car out on a cold day recently. She complained she was chilly. I told her to adjust her side. She said nothing happened when she adjusted the passenger side. I didn't think anything about it and finally checked it out the day before yesterday. I've had this Vette for years and apparently never checked the passenger side control, so I guess I either had a Senior moment or a CRS moment. I do know my other cars (non Vettes) have a digital display for passenger temp. control.

Checking the system out yesterday, I heard the actuator engage when turning the knob from stop to stop, so I was sure it was working. I then questioned whether the passenger side temp. should actually indicate. Looking at the owner's manual, I saw the info. you mentioned. It doesn't say it should read the temp. setting, but then again it doesn't say it does not indicate the temp. setting.

Anyway, thanks for the response and confirming my diagnosis. It now makes me question what else is there about the car I never took time to learn!! It only sees 1-1.2k miles a year, so maybe I just forget a lot since I don't drive it that much.

Thanks again.

There are a boat load of things that are not in the OM or even in the FSM that I have had to learn over the years. Glad you don't have a real issue.

Regarding service manuals, I have thought about buying a set, but have not as of now.
If you are going to attempt to do ANY KIND of DIY on our Vette or for that matter, try and trouble shoot any kind of problem, then there is no such thing as "thinking about it."

IT'S AN ABSOLUTE MUST HAVE !

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom