Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Passive Keyless Entry System For 04

Corvette
2004 Silver Coupe
I alwys thought the PKE was a good idea, but it apparently as discontinued and the later C5's. What was the issue and is it possible to "upgrade" a 04 model to PKE?

Silverstreak 04

Interesting question. Hmm...

I did a seach through the Model Center beginning with the 1997 Model forward through the C5 Production Run. I can't find that the "passive" system was ever a factory option on any C5, if, by "passive" you mean a system that arms and disarms itself automatically based upon the proximity of the key fob to the car.

I know that such a system was an option on the 1994 C4, and may have been used after '94. But I've heard the folks who have them complain about the fact that system sometimes inexplicably arms itself at inopportune moments (like when your trying to get in the car and have the door open) and sometimes just as inexplicably disarms itself when parked in the garage and key fob is in the kitchen. I can only conclude from the frequent complaints I heard about this from owners of '94s in particular, that GM opted to drop the system.

Now, the C6's have a function that allows one to start the engine without the need for a key in the ignition. I don't know if it passively unlocks and locks the door based upon the proximity of the key fob. If you're interested in upgrading to that sort of system, I honestly don't have any recommendations for you- this may be the first inquiry about this type of upgrade I've heard. Is there a dealership in your area with a tech who specializes in Corvettes? If so, it might be worth the time to put a call in to this tech and ask him your question.

:w
-Patrick

Patrick said:
Interesting question. Hmm...

I did a seach through the Model Center beginning with the 1997 Model forward through the C5 Production Run. I can't find that the "passive" system was ever a factory option on any C5, if, by "passive" you mean a system that arms and disarms itself automatically based upon the proximity of the key fob to the car.

I know that such a system was an option on the 1994 C4, and may have been used after '94. But I've heard the folks who have them complain about the fact that system sometimes inexplicably arms itself at inopportune moments (like when your trying to get in the car and have the door open) and sometimes just as inexplicably disarms itself when parked in the garage and key fob is in the kitchen. I can only conclude from the frequent complaints I heard about this from owners of '94s in particular, that GM opted to drop the system.

Now, the C6's have a function that allows one to start the engine without the need for a key in the ignition. I don't know if it passively unlocks and locks the door based upon the proximity of the key fob. If you're interested in upgrading to that sort of system, I honestly don't have any recommendations for you- this may be the first inquiry about this type of upgrade I've heard. Is there a dealership in your area with a tech who specializes in Corvettes? If so, it might be worth the time to put a call in to this tech and ask him your question.

:w
-Patrick
Thanks for the quick reply. I may have been in error that PKE was available on the C5. I too had heard of problems and that it was discontinued, but I never checked it out. The Mercedes E Class has a version that works well, and I've seen that there is an aftermarket kit available. Thanks again for the reply. The forums always come up with an answer.

Silverstreak 04

My 98 had the passive system. It was a pain in the neck. It armed itself and disarmed at wierd times. I finally had it "turned off" at the dealership. Ken

The system was availabe on the C5 and was discontinued after '99. We have our '99 set to active so that we can arm/disarm system when we want to.

Gorgon said:
The system was availabe on the C5 and was discontinued after '99. We have our '99 set to active so that we can arm/disarm system when we want to.
Now that we've established that the PKE was available in early C5's, but discontinued later, was the discontinuation due to many "issues" with the system. I'd like to add it to my 04, but I don't need any additional or potential "issues".

Silverstreak 04

I think the reason it was discontinued was because of customer feedback. While I like the PKE system in my C4, the C5 system was just too flakey. With the fob sitting motionless inside it would unlock and lock the car all by itself. There is a motion sensor in the fob that tells it to transmit/turn off and it seems it never really paid attention to that. If you move the fobs farther away that may help, but then the battery goes dead too early because the fob is constantly transmitting. After a night of the car alarm setting and beeping the horn at all hours of the night it was turned off and never used again.

On top of that, I would think that the PCM in the '04 would not work with an old PKE system. I don't know that for sure so someone with some more knowledge of the system will have to chime in.

I could turn it on and off with the fob on my '97. I turned it off quickly. My 2002 does not have it, and I do not miss it.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom