Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

"perfect" Cell - Smart Phone holder 1993 C4

1993C4Vette

Corvette
1993 Quasar Blue C4 Convertible
I think I found a solid cell - smart phone holder solution for this version Vette. I use the navigation application Waze whenever I drive mostly because of its real time road condition and Police updates so I need to have the phone visible and in reach.

The solution is to purchase a cell-smart phone holder designed to fit into the CD slot BUT... slide it into the opening under the center console air vent... crank it just tight and you are good to go. Putting it in the CD slot blocks your view to just about everything which was a no-go for me and it really wasn't all that stable either. Mounting as I have described is solid, does no damage to your Vette, leaves no ugly suction cup marks on the windshield and prevents distracting balancing acts for the phone on the console or your lap. These holders can be purchased on eBay for less than $10.00

You can see eBay listing item number 272254505222, active as of 9-13-2017 or, enter the search words "cell phone cd mount" and pick the one that fits your price and shipping location. Been installed a couple weeks now and for me... perfect.

Cell Phone Holder.jpg

Last edited:
Great area. I use my GPS still which I like a little better. Use the phillips that holds the vent in place. I can take it out at any time and put things back to normal. I used the hardware that came with the GPS with some slight modification. Total cost is zero other then the GPS itself. Half the time I forget my phone but this is always mounted ready to go. Matter of preference I guess. People always say "you still use a GPS" , I say, yea I do, own three old vehicles but the add on tech works just fine. Thanks for the post......:thumb

Really good idea Robert on your mounting solution.

I still use my Garmond GPS sometimes (lifetime updates) but if you have not used the smart phone app Waze it might be worth a shot. Besides the real-time updates put into it by drivers themselves like: Traffic, road hazard, police locations as they move, pot-hole alerts and speed limit-your speed display (it shows speed slow-downs ahead of you as well), you get voice recognition destination searching which saves a ton of time entering new destinations. You can also update any map errors Waze inherited from poor info it inherited when it was "born" yourself using their on-line editor. Waze and Google Maps had my street addresses all wrong and I fixed them in Waze for everyone in the world that uses the app.

Great info....I'll have to look into that app. Does it require data to work though? I'm limited on data.

Does it require data to work though?
Yes... it gets real-time data from the 3-4G network but it behaves itself very well. I have Tracfone and, like you, I don't have unlimited data. I usually know where I am going but I turn on the phone with no destination set just so I can see what is ahead of me. You can finger drag-scroll the whole route in front of you if you want to see out several miles. It is a free app... they get their money via businesses paying to put small icons on the map and sometimes, a short add will pop up when you are stopped at a light and not touching your phone. Goes away when you start to move... not a big deal at all and never gets in the way of navigation.

Thanks for this post! A lot of modern mounts using clips just don't work for our vettes, since the AC vents are so flimsy. I've tried a lot of various things including suction cups, and none of them seem to be the right fit.

Just ordered one, hope it works! :cool!:

Thanks for this post! A lot of modern mounts using clips just don't work for our vettes, since the AC vents are so flimsy. I've tried a lot of various things including suction cups, and none of them seem to be the right fit.

Just ordered one, hope it works! :cool!:

I'm sure it will work, you just have to hope it doesn't damage your CD player if that is where you mount it.

I'm sure it will work, you just have to hope it doesn't damage your CD player if that is where you mount it.
I would stay out of the CD player... blocks everything and not all that secure and a concern for damage if you tighten the adjustment too far. To be clear, mine is mounted below the vent assembly NOT in the vent assembly. Been three weeks now since I mounted mine below the vent front cover as per my picture above and still... perfect.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip!

I would stay out of the CD player... blocks everything and not all that secure and a concern for damage if you tighten the adjustment too far. To be clear, mine is mounted below the vent assembly NOT in the vent assembly. Been three weeks now since I mounted mine below the vent front cover as per my picture above and still... perfect.

I was struggling trying to find the right holder and poof...saw your idea and tried it. So far so good! Up and out of the way. Great idea.
I am a happy camper now.
Thanks again.

Mine arrived yesterday and I installed it today. Works beautifully. I'll post a picture later.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

I think I found a solid cell - smart phone holder solution for this version Vette. I use the navigation application Waze whenever I drive mostly because of its real time road condition and Police updates so I need to have the phone visible and in reach.

The solution is to purchase a cell-smart phone holder designed to fit into the CD slot BUT... slide it into the opening under the center console air vent... crank it just tight and you are good to go. Putting it in the CD slot blocks your view to just about everything which was a no-go for me and it really wasn't all that stable either. Mounting as I have described is solid, does no damage to your Vette, leaves no ugly suction cup marks on the windshield and prevents distracting balancing acts for the phone on the console or your lap. These holders can be purchased on eBay for less than $10.00

You can see eBay listing item number 272254505222, active as of 9-13-2017 or, enter the search words "cell phone cd mount" and pick the one that fits your price and shipping location. Been installed a couple weeks now and for me... perfect.

View attachment 24939
Thanks for the post. Just ordered one using the item number you provided. Looks like it will be just what I need

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom