Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Performance Exhaust Manifolds

jstkrsn

Corvette
1992 LT1 White Conv.
I just bought a set of SLP shorty headers (Performance exhaust manifolds) to replace the heavy cast iron ones that are on my 92 LT1. They look almost like the exhaust manifolds that were on my 86 L98 (W/aluminum heads). They were constructed out of steel pipe also. When did they go back to the cast iron exhaust manifolds?

Wow, your '92 has cast iron manifolds? I had no idea that they went away from the stainless tubing manifolds like are on my '88.

You learn something new every day!

Have a great day,

How much power do you stand to gain from the shorty headers?

Due to Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) penalties, I expect that the later model headers, whether cast iron or tubing, flow pretty well. Exhaust flow is a distinct factor in fuel economy. The bigger gain from a performance standpoint, I expect, comes from weight savings. Such weight savings effects acceleration AND handling characteristics.

My $0.02,

I'm pretty sure that the 1991 L98 was the last for the tubular stainless steel exhaust manifolds in the C4. My 91 had them but when the 92 LT1 came out it had cast iron. In 93 they remained cast iron, but a double wall stamped steel sound insulator was added to the manifolds for noise reduction.

vettepilot

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom