Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Perp-sol wash ?

dariopop

Corvette
I am in the process of cleaning my fiberglass body prior to paint after being Media Blasted. The container of Prep-sol stated not to be used on Fiberglass?? I looked up a produce that's called Interlux Fiberglass Solvent Wash 202 for boats prior to painting and was thinking of using it but can't find anybody that has. What are you guys using to prep your bare fiberglass of oil and silicone?
What worries me is thinking that the prep-sol solvent will get absorbed into the bare fiberglass and cause problems with adhesion with the paint? Any info from anyone that has cleaned their bodies prior to painting would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks guys ( or girls )
Dario

During the media blast did it remove the gel coat or did they use something soft like walnut shells? If you took off the gel coat you will have to replace it.

Air blow the car off with clean dry air and they wash it with fast drying acetone based product and let it dry.

If you went through the gel coat it should be replaced with a spray gel coat such as http://www.zip-products.com/Zip/productr.asp?pf_id=R-917&PRID=BAN_FROOGLE then you have to sand it but not go through the gel coat and then use sprayable body filler such as stand docks (sp?) or glazurit (sp ?)(this one is thick) These are polyester filler primers. refinish with whatever paint you want to use.

Now I asked this of my auto body repairman (30 yrs) /husband (less than 1 yr) as he was walking out the door so don't quote me as I jotted it down quickly. He is also more into metal fab than fiberglass.

Also do a google search on fiberglass do it yourself and you should get some ideas.

It might be cheaper and easier to have a shop do it.

Good Luck!

Lacquer thinner wipe followed by hot soapy water and rinse is commonly used after stripping the paint from Corvette fiberglass; Corvettes never used gelcoat originally, but boats do. The condition of the surface after media-blasting will dictate whether epoxy primer is adequate as a base for the rest of the paint job.

:beer

Lacquer thinner wipe followed by hot soapy water and rinse is commonly used after stripping the paint from Corvette fiberglass; Corvettes never used gelcoat originally, but boats do. The condition of the surface after media-blasting will dictate whether epoxy primer is adequate as a base for the rest of the paint job.

:beer
I agree!!!:upthumbs

I have read on autobody101 forum not to use lacquer thinner as a prep wash before painting with modern paints. On the other hand, there are probably about as many opinions out there as folks doing it.

I just had a recent experience with lacquer thinner that has me sworn off of it for the rest of my project. I epoxy primed (ppg DP48LF white) my headlight bezels & door hinges and due to lack of time didn't get back to base coating them until the end of the window for doing so (7 days), so I decided to wipe them with lacquer thinner to start with to remove any contaminants they might have accumulated over the week hanging in my garage. I also base coated my door hinges but chose not to wipe them down, not as worried about them as the headlight bezels. After shooting the first coat the hinges looked fine, the headlight bezels fish-eyed like crazy. I took a solvent wrag and wiped the paint off so I wouldn't have to strip them back down. I am contemplating what to do next with them, probably sand them and prime again, then base/clear. The difference from my experience and the above posts may be in that I should've soap washed afterward but at this point I don't want to risk it.

good luck, and if you use lacquer thinner let us know how it turns out.

I have read on autobody101 forum not to use lacquer thinner as a prep wash before painting with modern paints. On the other hand, there are probably about as many opinions out there as folks doing it.

I just had a recent experience with lacquer thinner that has me sworn off of it for the rest of my project. I epoxy primed (ppg DP48LF white) my headlight bezels & door hinges and due to lack of time didn't get back to base coating them until the end of the window for doing so (7 days), so I decided to wipe them with lacquer thinner to start with to remove any contaminants they might have accumulated over the week hanging in my garage. I also base coated my door hinges but chose not to wipe them down, not as worried about them as the headlight bezels. After shooting the first coat the hinges looked fine, the headlight bezels fish-eyed like crazy. I took a solvent wrag and wiped the paint off so I wouldn't have to strip them back down. I am contemplating what to do next with them, probably sand them and prime again, then base/clear. The difference from my experience and the above posts may be in that I should've soap washed afterward but at this point I don't want to risk it.

good luck, and if you use lacquer thinner let us know how it turns out.
What kind of towel did you use with your lacquer thinner??:ughWas It contaminated??;shrug

It was a clean unused blue paper towel. Like the rolls you get at the auto parts store. I use a lot of 'em. You think maybe something came out of the towel ?

It was a clean unused blue paper towel. Like the rolls you get at the auto parts store. I use a lot of 'em. You think maybe something came out of the towel ?
Yep,the blue towels from Advance or Auto Zone are not at all good for Paint and Body work!!The have been treated with something,I have no clue what it is but it will cause problems!! I use Tork Towels or 100 % cotton White Body Shop towels from a Uniform supply company!!I personally don't like paper towels at all for final wipe down,The just wont pick up the contaminants like 100% Cotton!!:upthumbs

http://www.uclean.com/catalog/searc...&search=Tork&gclid=COje2_ig0pACFQhegQodbCsdPQ

Yep,the blue towels from Advance or Auto Zone are not at all good for Paint and Body work!!The have been treated with something,I have no clue what it is but it will cause problems

Ok, that is my problem then. I will stop using them. Thanks for the info ! :beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom