Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Pics of my 60. And how it drives

vette

Corvette
1966 coupe
The SRIII chassis works great. I'm not all that happy with the coil over shocks but you can't have it all. The LT1 and 700R trans turned out to be a good choice. It runs perfect stays nice and cool. Thanks to the DeWitts rad and fan setup. As you can see I wanted the car to look all stock. Until I open the hood nobody picks up on the chassis. I have put about 1000 miles on her since I finished it and love the car. My first long drive was to Lake George. My wife and I where very comfy and she like the having a trunk. It likes to cruise around 80 MPH. That seems to be it's sweet spot. It's no race car, but it dose just what I wanted it to do. Brian G.
9607dcbd.jpg
0f5bf6c4.jpg

Well you certainly have a sleeper there, Looks like a stock car for sure.

What dont you like on the coil overs and what is there weights

It took me forever to get mine adjusted Just doing one click at a time with the valving.I ended up changing my rear springs to a different set since I built the car

I wish I could find a different set of rims for my car (I should say affordable rims)

I wish I could find a different set of rims for my car (I should say affordable rims)
Larry, for what you have in the car, what is a little more $$$$$$$$$;LOL

That is one sweet '60. As Larry said, it really is a sleeper.

Larry. I just don't like the ride. I have tried every setting and it is still to stiff for me. I have 350 fronts and 325 475( I think ) in the rear. Mike sent me a set of 250's for the rear but I have not had time to try them yet. I may be just asking for to much. But if I where to do it again I would set the rear up with the transverse spring. I ran coilovers and the trans. spring in the rear of my GS. It rode perfect. This car is a little to go cart feeling for me. It's great on the highway but you hit a bumpy road like the one I live on and it gets on my nerves. Like all verts is also has some cowl shake but I think that is normal. Oh check out my shifter. You will like it.
HPIM0339.jpg

Sweet is right. Most of these conversions are obvious due to the wheels and tires selected. Yours is a complete fooler and could just as well be stock from outward appearances. Nicely done.

Tom

Sweet is right. Most of these conversions are obvious due to the wheels and tires selected. Yours is a complete fooler and could just as well be stock from outward appearances. Nicely done.

Tom
Thanks Tom. That was what I was going for. I not a big fan of the big wheels and wide tire look. I think these cars look best in a vintage form . Race car or mostly stock. Did that car in your post that looks yellow come from Charile Bacon out of Calif. If so I almost bought it from him. But we never agreed on a price. I did buy alot of parts from him though.

Mike sent me a set of 250's for the rear but I have not had time to try them yet.

I am now running a set of 250'S in the rear, The car was too high strung for my likes. I had a set of 2 stage springs ,Made the switch and settled the car right in

Like all verts is also has some cowl shake but I think that is normal.

Pretty interesting stuff, I thought I was the only one with cowl shake.This winter I am going to remove some rubber body mounts and replace with shims.Then I am going to Dyna mat and seal and putty every thing I can to remove the squeaks/rattles. This car drives so well, better then most new cars, But it doesn't have any insulation or noise reduction material in it.This is what reminds me I am still driving a 44 year old car.

What did you use to mount the body to the frame? any thing flexible

Oh check out my shifter. You will like it.

I can appreciate the work you put into it, It looks great Just trying to figure out how you reversed the throw of the shifter, You must of made up some type of a bell crank but I cant figure out where you would have the room to do it unless your motor is set further forward then mine

Thanks Tom. That was what I was going for. I not a big fan of the big wheels and wide tire look. I think these cars look best in a vintage form . Race car or mostly stock. Did that car in your post that looks yellow come from Charile Bacon out of Calif. If so I almost bought it from him. But we never agreed on a price. I did buy alot of parts from him though.

No. That picture is September 1969 just after I bought the car and put the Mickey Thompson cheater slicks on it. Notice the '62 Bel Air bubbletop in the driveway? It was a 6 with 3 speed colume shift. Should have kept it for a 409 clone.

Tom

Brian,

Nice to see the car finished. It looks great and the shifter setup is super- Great Touch! :upthumbs

Interesting feedback on the coil-overs. I've never used them in the other cars but do have them for the 63. The spring rates are 350 lb. in the front and 250 lb. in the rear. It will be a while before the car gets on the road and interesting to see how it works.

Rich Lagasse

I've seen your 60 iin person last month in Mystic, and I have to say it looks like it came from the factory that way. Very sanitary build.

Good luck with the suspension softening.

Thanks all for the nice comments. Larry I used all the stock hardware for body mounts. Now that I have a few miles on the car I will go around all the body bolts with an inpact to make sure all is tight. Cowl shake is going to happen with any vert. Thats why I like coupes much better. When it comes to midyears I'll never keep a vert. As for the dyna mat. I did the whole inside of the car. I can say I have no rattles to speak of. The shifter was a little work. I started with a stock C1 auto. shifter. So the pattern was already backwards. That was the whole point. I wanted it to look stock. Some told me I was nuts for keeping the patten backwards but they came that way so why would I change it. It was a pain to make the shifter bolt to the 700R tail shaft but well worth it. Come spring I'll have to take a ride up to see you. This car is so nice on a long drive I'm looking for places to go with it. Brian G.

Come spring I'll have to take a ride up to see you. This car is so nice on a long drive I'm looking for places to go with it. Brian G.

Brian I will remind you, and I look foward to meeting you and your car. In spring,

Brian,

Do you have any photos of your Dyna Mat installation? I know that I want to do something to reduce heat treansfer into the interior.

Brian,

Do you have any photos of your Dyna Mat installation? I know that I want to do something to reduce heat treansfer into the interior.
Sorry but I don't have any pics. I did put it on the whol;e floor and up behind the seats. I used paper to make pattens ,then cut the dyna mat to fit.

Thanks. That's about what I have in mind.

Sweet ride Vette!!

Here is a pic of my Uncles 1960 - orig paint (except for maroon insert), engine, trans and rear end. Did complete frame off 2 years ago - but everything else original and stock!!

He bought it in 1963 and has had it ever since. Has hard top for it too - really sharp. I grew up with this car - I was 10 when he bought it. Biggest kick was going for ride with him and being able to shift it for him. He informed me it will be mine someday - he lets me have it for a month or so in summer to drive around.

Thanks for looking!!

Bob

DSC01188.jpg

Sweet! They are only original once so take care of that original paint.

Tom

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom