Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Ping at WOT

B

biceps1

I have a question regarding detonation occurring at WOT. I have a '85 with K/N iar filter, 180 degree thermo, and an ADS super chip installed. I have set the initial timing at the factory recommended 6 degrees BTDC. I was running at 8 degrees but the ping started sooner than WOT.

I set the timing back to stock specs, and now the ping only occurrs at WOT.

Any ideas?

bicpes1

I ran into the same problem with my 85 and the Hypertech chip. Upon diagnosis my ESC module needed replacement. The sensor was fine. I would suggest getting hold of a GM service manual and meter out rather than throwing money at the problm.

I also noticed keeping temp down improved condition. The 160 stat with 175 degree fan, throttle body by-pass ,MAT sensor re-lo and screens out of MAF made a huge difference.

Good Luck:w

Carlo

Are you guys running 92 octane gasoline? The Hypertech instructions for my '85 plainly states that I need to run 92 octane gasoline. And from experience with an '85 V-6 Fiero and the Hypertech chip I also had to run 92 octane to keep if from pinging at WOT.
At least on the Fiero the only table that was different from the stock chip was the timing increase at WOT. That of course was the reason for the 92 octane.

Hope this helps..........

Always run 93 octane. Wouldn't dream of anything less for all my babies:love

A higher flow exhaust system will help as well.

the bigger the engine u have the more u have to run it,

your corvette loves to fly down the highway it won't hurt it

do u not drive it fast??

usually pinging is casued from carbon built up on your pistons

go put 93 octane in and then go buy some octane booster

and have some fun

Its most certainly sounds like an octane issue. I have the Hypertech chip in and I HAVE to run high-octane, otherwise....vrooooomm..clak,clak,clak,clak,clak.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom