Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Pinging

E

exbanker

Was out yesterday, running errands in stop and go traffic. Really hot outside, 110. When I would park for a short time and restart the car it would ping under moderate acceleration for about 5 minutes and then stop. Other than that, it ran great. I only use Chevron premium, tops you get here is 91 octane and it contains all smog additives during the summer months. Coolant temp never got over 235, the oil temp would spike a little during the short term pinging and then cool down. I have a 160 stat with Hypertech programmer to kick the fan on sooner on a 1996 LT1 with 48k miles. Before the stat and programmer, it would run at least 10 degrees hotter and would get hot much quicker.

Thoughts? Maybe a bad tank of gas?

At my age, I would prefer to use the term ping, premature anything scares me.

Thanks

Carbon on your pistons

but i dont' think carbon will build up with only 48k miles on it
not sure though

driving the vett slow with 91 octane will still give a chance of carbon built up

Posted in wrong place Hey EX

Ex banker

Try a load of fuel system cleaner first..... this might help reduce any carbon build up you have in the top of the engine.

There was a good post a while back in the C-5 section from C4C5 about carbon build up in the C5 motors..... gm has an overnight treatment.

IF that doesn't work have your timing backed off 2 degrees and that should do the trick.

Does it ping at night... when things are cooler?

Vig!

You already use chevron, but I would get a couple of bottleso f techron from either Chevron, or walmart sells it now too.... Whatever the bottle says, double the amount... If there is anything built up in the system, your oil will turn black....

-I did it on my '90 Honda civic with 167k miles (ok, don't laugh at me, the vette likes the garage:D) and my gas milage increased by about 10 MPG in town.

Thanks for the suggestions, will give them a try.

Vig, no pings as night. Thanks

So

Try the cleaner first.......

Then back the timing off!

or

Drive her when it's cooler!

Vig

Mostly its do to heat sink. High temps in the combustion chamber After sitting for a bit. Iron heads are worse for heat sink . Alum. will also get hot when sitting static after running hot . It goes away after air and water start to circulate.

How hard would it be to get the fans to stay on after the car is shut off... for lets say a minute or so? even a switch with a timer would work for me, I just have no idea how to wire it

Soemone to suggest to get some injector cleaner such as Techron, and double the recommened amt. I would not do that. It could burn your valves.

couldn't he buy octane boost

raise your octane to about 110 or 120 and run the engine like that

it sure should burn carbon off i would think

From what I've read , carbon is not much of a problem with cars nowadays. The have very little unburned fuel left after ingnition. If you need additives it usually a sign of something else wrong. Sometimes just alittle tuning will help . BTW ,When I tore my engine down after 114k it had nothing on the top of the pistons that couldnt be wiped off. Fuel injection and the computor age are amazing. :)

Shadow, raising your octane to 110 is darned near impossible - AVgas is only 100 octane and most octane boosters raise a tank on average 1-2 points only. Besides - you don't want to inhibit the explosion too much or your engine won't run...

VetteLT193, it'd be simple to add a timer. If you want to spend some bucks, buy a turbo timer from HKS or GReddy or one of those guys. They're designed to let the entire engine run to cool your turbocharger down, but could easily be wired to the fan leads instead of the ignition leads. If you want to stay cheap, go to Radio Shack or a local electronics parts store and buy one of their timing circuits (been a while since I've seen RS's, but it used to be a small black box with four wires and a rheostat) and then wire it as if you were making a manual switch for the fan.

[RICHR]

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom