Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Pinion Shaft Oil Seal Problem

M

MLGower

I have a '78 silver anniverary and I am in need of replacing an oil seal on the output shaft on the Differental. Am I going to need to take out the diff to get inside of it, or is the pinion shaft coupler a press fit? I know that on the input shaft, I can remove the coupler without opening the diff, as it has a nut holding it in place, but this is not the case on the output shafts. Any Advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!!!

Michael

if you are talking about the driveshaft input pinion,yes you can change it in the car. i would reccommend you get a shop manual as there is steps you must go thru.

Michael,

.....and if you mean the side yokes, you must take the diff off the car. The yokes are held in with c-clips, unless they broke off in which case you really want to take the diff out and clean out the metal parts. And probably replace the yokes, if you do then get the heavy duty ones.

That's about what I thought. I was really hoping it was the front oil seal that was leaking, at least I could get to it without tearing out the entire rear end assy. But at least it'll give me an excuse to rebuild the rear suspension. Thanks for the info!!!!!

Michael :)

Be sure and follow the Shop Manual instructions to the letter; if you don't pack some non-hardening sealer at the end of the splines under the pinion washer and nut, it'll leak, even with a new seal.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom