Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

PKE Nightmare

thefosterfarm

Corvette
1996 Coupe
We have a 1996 Coupe that we bought 2 years ago. Came with key FOB and PKE worked great for about the first year. Then there came the dreaded "clickity click" while driving down the highway, the hatchback opens, and for about a year we just ignored the PKE and opened the door with the key because the FOB wouldn't work manually either. The PKE light would flutter and flash every now and then, and finally it just quit.

So for a winter project on a boring Saturday, we decided to tackle the problem using the Factory Manauals. We went through everything, clear up to removing the upper trim and testing the PKE receiver. It tested bad (my husband says and I am believing him for now!). We bought one on ebay, it came and we installed it. We programmed the receivers (the light came on as it was supposed to per the manual, flashed until the receivers were each programmed).

Now the FOB will unlock the hatchback when pressed, but only makes a half-hearted attempt at locking the passenger door. If the passenger door is locked, it will unlock it, but acts as though it doesn't have enough power to lock it. It does not make anything happen on the drivers side, not a single noise can be heard when pressing the door button on the FOB while listening to the drivers side.

The PKE light does not come on during start up, so I tried holding the door button down for two seconds (or more) to turn the PKE system back on, but it's a no-go.

Any thoughts out there? Thanks for any suggestions, as I have read the Factory manual over and over and it pretty much tells me to make sure I know what I'm doing which I obviously do not at this point.......UGHHHHHH!

Have you checked the locking mechanism in the door, sounds like the locking mechanism is sticking or binding on the panel.

more PKE info

Hadn't checked that yet, but last night I did the diagnostic thing by jumping pins 4 and 8 with a paper clip while the key was in the ignition (sorry for the non technical language!) The PKE light flashed about 20 times before I quit counting, and gave up. When I removed the paperclip, the driver's side door lock cycled (instead of buzzing)! And low and behold, when I started the car, the PKE light light up! It was activated now (I couldn't make that happen while holding the door button down on the FOB). The PKE seems to be working now with the following exceptions:

1) Can't make it unlock both driver and passenger doors, even while following the directions on how to change that , and

2) The doors don't lock and the horn doesn't sound for about 20 seconds or more after you walk away from the car (seems really S L O W!)

Anyway, if you have any thoughts on that, let me know. Thanks for the reply!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom