Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Placing the door lock knob back into rod

M

metaldude18

I need to place the door lock knob back into the rod. I haven't been able to put it back right. the door knob lock gets stuck when the power locks are used. Please help...I need to fix the problem without spending $ and it needs to be sold. Thanks

I need to place the door lock knob back into the rod. I haven't been able to put it back right. the door knob lock gets stuck when the power locks are used. Please help...I need to fix the problem without spending $ and it needs to be sold. Thanks
Your either not snapping it in good,or the little snaps on the back side of the knob are worn or broken off!~!! Might need a new knob,Not a expensive part!:upthumbs

ok so i snap the knob back onto the rod when the door bezel is in placed or before?

yess it takes a little finness well sometimes alot to not crack the plastic

Its a little like surgery on a cricket.
small, hard to see and reach and your fingers are too big...

Assuming that you are trying to snap the exposed knob/handle on the actuator rod that sticks thru the door panel,. then align the rod thru its slot in the panel and secure panel in place. Using a tool to hold the rod and its end, in place, slid the plastic buttom over and push/snap in place. Use a small screwdriver or something similar to help apply pressure to the end of the button so the rod snaps in the plastic clamp. Use a 90* pick or bent tool to stick behind the rod to pull as you push the button onto it, that helps.
They often pop the first part in but fail to go all the way on where its locked in place. Practice.

The secret seems to be in the alignment of the rod as to where it lays in the door panels slot or channel. Sometimes a slight bent (adjustment) of the end length will make it sit just right so its not binding on the door panel as it tries to move. I'm not sure why, but most doors will try to do exactly what you describe.

I think there is a guide clamp or something that gets broken as the door panel gets removed and we never see it or realize what it does. I believe it to be the thing that holds the lock-slide rod in the exact place for mounting. Look on the backside of the panel for a clip or circle clamp or guide of some sort that would be in the approx area of the rod...

I have one in my passenger door that does the same thing....I have to hit the switch twice to make it close all the way. The button/lever drags just enough to prevent it from moving over the first try electrically or fingers.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom