Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Planning a Museum Delivery Trip next Month...... Ideas??

ThrottleUp

I already know from your discussions there is a phenomenal experience awaiting me at the Plant/Museum..... I'm reading everything I can about it!

I'm wondering though, any suggestions for my trip back to Houston, things like how to protect the car from road muck, interesting things to see, unique eateries, break-in protocol, or will I need to take a quart of oil just in case, etc. etc.

I can't decide if just to leave BG after I pick-up the car or maybe wait to leave early the next morning and drive-through (might be in a hurry to show it off to my friends!).

I'm thinking of inviting one of my old car war-story buddies or maybe a cousin........ I just don't think the girls can appreciate this as much as a guy, but we'll see.

Congratulations on selecting Museum Delivery. It will be a lot of fun.

By all means stick around Bowling Green for a day and site see with the new Vette before heading home.

As for road muck and such, don't drive in the rain! :boogie

If you have a bra already, install it and watch for junk in the road.

You should not need any oil or other stuff except car care stuff for the drive home.

If you have time, think about driving west out of Bowling Green on US-68/80 and see a little of Kentucky before heading south. There is a monument to Jefferson Davis out there and the "land between the lakes" also.

........ I just don't think the girls can appreciate this as much as a guy, but we'll see.
Man, has somebody steered you wrong. :chuckle

The Museum experience sounds like an awesome event and I hope you'll enjoy it to the max!

Whatever you decide, take pix so you can post a thread and share photos of the trip!

:wJane Ann

Congratulation on the Museum Delivery. As an Ambassador for the museum for my Corvette Club, I always am glad to hear of one's experience with the delivery, so let us know. I have one question, and I hope it doesn't hijack this thread, but I read in the Corvette Magazine letters to the editors section that the writer got the museum delivery when he purchased the car from his dealer. He related that his dealer charged him the delivery charge that normally is assessed when the car is delivered to the selling dealer. Did you have to pay the delivery charge to the dealer you purchased from, or was it a delivery charge to the museum? You will love touring the museum; since the museum delivery includes a one year membership, I hope your experience is so terrific that you decide to maintain your membership - it is tax deductable.
Barrett

Congratulation on the Museum Delivery. As an Ambassador for the museum for my Corvette Club, I always am glad to hear of one's experience with the delivery, so let us know. I have one question, and I hope it doesn't hijack this thread, but I read in the Corvette Magazine letters to the editors section that the writer got the museum delivery when he purchased the car from his dealer. He related that his dealer charged him the delivery charge that normally is assessed when the car is delivered to the selling dealer. Did you have to pay the delivery charge to the dealer you purchased from, or was it a delivery charge to the museum? You will love touring the museum; since the museum delivery includes a one year membership, I hope your experience is so terrific that you decide to maintain your membership - it is tax deductable.
Barrett

Hello Red Vette,

No risk of hijacking, i still need all the help i can get on how to prep the car for the trip back to Houston and preventing unwelcome road damage, keeping it shiny, etc.

But to answer your question, I worked with 3 dealers in addition to the one who sold me the car and each one verified that both charges were stacked, in order words Chevy has this flat rate of $950 for delivery PLUS the Museum Delivery is charged at an MSRP of $490.

I wish I could avoid it as on the surface that charge for merely driving the car across to the Museum is without merit. It is similar to the Airlines that charge a change fee now when they never used to before even with no extra cost to justify the fee!

Thanks for paying attention to those details, maybe you could work in your official capacity to somehow modify this. Likely one by-product of this double-charging is that Museum delivery numbers are severely reduced in that many buyers refuse to pay it and therefore deprive themselves of what I'm convinced will be an awesome time. ;squint:

Museum delivery is so much more than dealer delivery. The museum does the final clean-up and prep. The job is done with much love for the product and the Corvettes that come through the museum are detailed WAY better than ANY dealer could ever want or afford to do. If your dealer is charging you, yur gettin' screwed... IMHO...

The delivery fee is charged for ALL corvettes no matter where they are delivered in the US. The fee is averaged out for all vettes. There is no sliding scale for distance from the factory.

When I bought my '02 when I was stationed in Germany I had to pay 2 delivery fees, the standard fee to get it to the East coast shipping point and the shipping fee to get it from the US to Germany.

I hope you enjoy your delivery experience.

:BOWThanks Yellow-2002-Germany, wow I bet you enjoyed those Autobahns when you picked that car up!! Envy..........!!!

It's unfortunate, but we really are treated by GM as cash-cows...... I haven't found any dealer who will opt-out of the delivery fee.... regardless, I really only pay attention to the final price number........ if they want to charge me $40,000 for a light-bulb, I don't mind it, as long as the total price for an identical vehicle comes in lower than the other vehicles! They can have their satisfaction if that's what it is.

Meantime....... does anyone have a suggestion on what is something other than a bra to use for a new car that has cured for 2 weeks and will drive behind of semis on the road etc.? I fundamentally don't like bras on a new paint as it seems it will choke it from oxygen so would prefer a benign chemical if it's available.

Thanks all.////////////

By the way I have a 3-day window to take my delivery now...... April 19 through April 21. :beer

the paint really doesn't air cure anymore it's baked, all of the various parts and pieces on a corvette are painted, stocked, then assembled onto the vehicle. I have mixed feelings on a bra, chose not to run one on my 08, been on two long trips and only very minor marks on the paint.

Yeah DDLS3, I'm with you, tempted to spray-on something like Rejex coating on the night before driving back and then washing it off on my arrival home........Those bras don't convice me for a new paint-job!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom