Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Planning Upgrades = Need Advise

Corvette
71 Conv. (Sold) / 98 Pewter Coupe (Sold)
Howdy C4 folks :). As some of you already know, I'm currently in the market for my (actually my wife's) next vette. Between now and the time we get it (hopefully by this winter) , I'd like to go ahead and start accumulating some of the mods that I know I'll want to do. I figured who better to advise me than you who already drive the car I'm buying.

Here's what I already know about it: it will be a 95 LT1 w/ auto trans, sport seats, ride select, and it will be a coupe. This car will also be a driver, probably making the 40 mile round trip commute 2-3 times a week. The only mod I know I'm going to do is to replace the stock wheels w/ 96 CE wheels. I'm not into body kits but am open to almost anything bolt-on you can throw at me.

Any suggestions/experience/dufficulties with the different chips, exhausts, throttle body mods, intakes, etc would be cool. I'm not looking to make it a rocket but if that happens, I guess I'll just have to live with it.

Thanks!

Corsa exhaust. It's been said it is worth about 14hp but, I got mine for the sound. It just sounds like a Corvette now! :D

Nice rumble, loud at WOT and silent when cruising. No resonance AT ALL! And it looks GREAT! I need to get out and polish mine up, starting to look too dull for me.

Another cheap mod is to cut open the air cleaner lid and install a K&N air filter. Some places even sell a cut lid.

And you will LOVE the CE rims. I put a set on after I had the exhaust installed. Really makes my Vette look like a bad mother f-er. :cool

I have to agree with Tim, Corsa's are great. One of the GS's in my area has Corsa's, it's just what the doctor ordered. I've currently got Borla's on my GS, but eventually they will be replaced with Corsa's.

Jason

A simple mod is a new chip and lower thermostat. Stock Vettes run really hot. A chip & thermo will solve that problem.
Like Bubblehead said, go with a K&N and open air lid.
Another freebie is to bypass the antifreeze line going to the throttle body. While you're in the throttle body area, you might want to install an airfoil ($40-$50).......You won't feel a performance difference, but it does smooth the incoming air to the throttle body.
Lowering kits looks great for the $40 bucks but can be a pain in the arse to do the front.

Jay

You really recommend the chip and lower thermostat, Jay? The reason I ask, is that I posted a while back asking for input as to the pro's and con's of getting a Stage II Hypertech chip and the 160 degree thermostat and the few reply's that I recieved were pretty negative about using the chip/thermostat combo.

I think the big concern was that it was real hard to get your oil temp up to the 200 degrees that it should be - but I can't remember for sure.

Any thoughts on this? I'm still thinking of doing the chip - just can't decide between the Stage I or the Stage II + 160 degree thermostat.

Thanks!

-J.

I guess everybody has their own opinion, but I'm not sure why you'd get negative comments about an aftermarket chip & thermostat. Personally, I don't know anyone using the stock setup. It's not a bolt-on where your head will be in the headrest as you mash the gas pedal, but I think your car will benefit because it will not only run cooler (due to the fans kicking on a lot earlier) but because the chip optimzes the ECM.
If you decide to do other mods to the car, an aftermarket chip will recognize this and recalibrate the ECM accordingly. Simply adding one small mod, you won't notice any difference in performance. But with all the little bolt-ons working together and an aftermarket chip optimizing them, it makes for a couple tenths in the quarter mile.
Maybe contact Hypertech and ask them a few questions about pros and cons. They might be able to clear a few things up for ya. They'll also be able to explain the differences between stage I and stage II.
Good luck on your decision.........keep us posted

Jay

Chip/Computer

The only problem if you want to call it that with the "chip" is that a 95 vette does not use the "chip" replacement for upgrades. Rather, you have to reprograme the OBD II. You can either mail it off (I have done this several times in the past with great success) for a cost of about $250, or buy a Hypertech programming unit so you can do it at home.

There is a site called www.carputing.com. These guys will sell you the software to use with a laptop and point you in the right direction to reprogramming it yourself. It gets a little complicated as there are many variables to consider. The upside is you can eventually tune the car much more in line with your driving needs, cooling fans and all. The bad side is, it is not as easy as the old plug and play with the chip.

This may be why some have posted negative impressions for "chipping" an OBD II car. It is hard to say. Like Jay says, everybody has a different opinion.

Since you are not going to race the car, I would just max out what you have, bigger plug wires, high quaility plugs, custom mufflers and tips, quality air filter, new shocks and bushings as needed, and enjoy.

The honest truth is, the minor little bolt on items will not as a whole turn the car into a Z06 killer. You have to go inside and start spending a lot of $$$$.

If you want to go fast---NOS it and watch the Z06 in your rearview--or should I say Viper---or should I say Cobra, I have to be careful here because I am sure to be stepping on somebodies toes.

Re: Chip/Computer

Chris McDonald said:
The only problem if you want to call it that with the "chip" is that a 95 vette does not use the "chip" replacement for upgrades. Rather, you have to reprograme the OBD II. You can either mail it off (I have done this several times in the past with great success) for a cost of about $250, or buy a Hypertech programming unit so you can do it at home.

Great point Chris. I forgot we were talking about mods for a '95. I actually used the Hypertech Power Programmer before and was quite surprised at how easy it was to use:)

Jay

Great info guys, thanks a ton. Now all I have to do is convince my wife that buying a $1000 exhaust system for a car we don't own yet is a good thing.:eek But then, this will be is her car so she shoudn't have a broble with that, right:argue? I din't know about the chip issue for 95s but I think I can handle reprogramming it.

I think maybe I'll start hanging out on this board more often to ramp up on everything C4.

Thanks again!:w

Re: Re: Re: Chip/Computer

sleepyhead said:
Well, don't forget about me! I was talking about mods for an '89 L98. :s

-J.

I wouldn't forget about chya sleepy:D

Jay

Re: Re: Re: Chip/Computer

sleepyhead said:

Well, don't forget about me! I was talking about mods for an '89 L98. :s

-J.

Sorry, I did forget. Anyway, yours is a plug and play type deal. The 160 thermostat helps the chip give you a more seat of the pants feel by keeping the engine cooler.

Will it harm anything? That depends. I think anybody that has done this will tell you that the engine still heats up over time while driving, it just takes longer to do it and won't peak out as hot as stock. In other words, it will still get up around 200 in traffic during the summer with the a/c running regardless of the chip and thermostat. During the winter you will have a hard time getting the engine hot enough to make substantial heat.

I don't think it will do enough harm if any to ever notice. The other benefits to lower temps are well worth it.

There really are ups and downs to the upgrade. You may get lower fuel economy, the shifts will be a little harder (if an auto) and if you still have cats on the car they will really stink (smell bad) with the extra fuel.

If you don't feed it high octane the Stage II chip will let you know as it advances your timing even more. That is unpleasant because the knock sensor will keep kicking it back causing you to go slower.

To be quite honest, other than the lower temps you will have a really hard time "feeling" any difference between a stage I, stage II, or even just stock with a tricked cooling fan and lower thermostat. A Dyno may tell the difference, but you are not going to feel 10 or 12 hsp. I think the chip is a must when perfecting other upgrades including headers, larger throttle body, injectors, cam, 1.6 rockers, etc.

Don't know if you can still get them, but I had great luck out of an ADS strip chip. It required the 160 degree and could not use a cat as it was way too rich. Thus, the name "strip" chip.

Thanks everyone! My wish list is under way.

71shark,

You may already know that 95 was the peak of the LT1 engine refinements. Late in 94, the connecting rods were changed to powered metal design, for both strength and equal weight. In addition, the fuel injector design was improved to reduce leakage and better performance with hybrid fuels. The automatic had a lighter and stronger torque converter and improved shifting algorithms. The body got quite a few mods to reduce water leakage, noise, CD skip etc. Springs, windshield wipers, radiator fan, ASR/ABS also were upgraded. So you will be starting with the "cream of the crop" LT1 variants.

I would consider the “Power Now” (Ecklers #26690) for your throttle body inlet as it has the highest laminar flow in bench testing. Combined with a Breathless (or other cool air intake system), a set of 1.6 roller rockers (vs stock 1.5 pricey at $365), and reprogramming has shown up to 35hp and 40 lb/ft torque increase at the rear wheels on a 96 LT1. All of these are relatively easy bolt-on items. The rockers give the same effect as installing a little more radical cam, with much less pain.

Regards,
C5Phil

C5Phil said:
...You may already know that 95 was the peak of the LT1 engine refinements. Late in 94, the connecting rods were changed to powered metal design, for both strength and equal weight. In addition, the fuel injector design was improved to reduce leakage and better performance with hybrid fuels. The automatic had a lighter and stronger torque converter and improved shifting algorithms. The body got quite a few mods to reduce water leakage, noise, CD skip etc. Springs, windshield wipers, radiator fan, ASR/ABS also were upgraded. So you will be starting with the "cream of the crop" LT1 variants...

I had read about some of those improvements but it's just dumb luck that has me searching for a 95. My wife saw an Admiral Blue one on the lot when we bought the 71 and fell in love w/ the color and she really likes the 95-96 side louvers. Since all 96 Admirals are GS, she wants a 95 and only a 95; not a 94 w/ upgraded louvers. This is the part where I say I sure am glad I married her.

Thanks for the advise too!

Most of the folks I've talked to about the chips say that unless you are going to race your 'vette they are pretty much ineffective.

They say that at wide open throttle, the chip or OBD II computer lets the engine produce as much power as possible...since there are no emission restrictions to WOT performance. The chip is designed to meet emission requirements and fuel mileage targets required in the EPA city and highway mileage cycles. The reprogrammed chip can affect the part throttle performance, but usually affects driveability too.

And that, Aunt Bea, is my two cents worth!!

Eric, you still loooking?

;LOL

I'm sorry, I just happened across this by accident. Hope you get another soon! ;)

_ken :CAC

Re: Eric, you still loooking?

Ken said:
;LOL

I'm sorry, I just happened across this by accident. Hope you get another soon! ;)

_ken :CAC

Heck no, I posted this before the life altering events took place. All is on hold now until May 05:(.

-Eric:w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom