Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Please explain

wmjosjr

Corvette
2008 c6 coupe crystal red mattlic
On a 2008 C-6 LS-3 automatic coupe, This car has the F-55 brake option package, along with the select ride option (sport, touring.) How does this compare to the Z-51 option? Thank you, Bill.

On a 2008 C-6 LS-3 automatic coupe, This car has the F-55 brake option package, along with the select ride option (sport, touring.) How does this compare to the Z-51 option? Thank you, Bill.

F-55 is not a "brake option package".

It is a ride control system controlled by that knob on your center console which says "tour" and "sport".

F-55 is a set of ride-adaptive shock absorbers which can act in near real time. The only comparison you can draw with Z-51 is that option has fixed-valve shocks.

In a general sense, F-55 is a ride enhancement whereas Z-51 is a package of performance enhancements.

I wish the "specifications" section of the CAC had more detailed info on the differences here like it has for the C4 suspension chart.

Anyway, the Z51 cars get stiffer springs and stabilizer bars and fixed rate shocks compared to a base Corvette. Z51 also gets the big brakes which I believe are "J55" on the RPO list.

The "F55" cars appear to have the base springs and stabilizer bars and get the MagneRide shocks plus the big brakes - in 2008. Previous Vettes with F55 didn't get the big brakes - our '06 F55 car didn't have them but our '08 F55 car did.

If you're looking for a track car, the Z51 option is the way to go. If you spend most of the time on the streets, then F55 is a better choice IMO. The MagneRide shocks in SPORT do a pretty good job of "stiffening" up the suspension for spirited driving sessions - I will not say that it bring the car up to the Z51 standards but it's pretty good. In Tour, the ride is much smoother.

As a side note here, the ZR1 gets the MagneRide shock package - different programming I'm sure compared to a "regular" Vette. The ZO7 Performance enhance package on the ZO6 gets MagneRide shocks also.

While the initial F55 systems on the 2003 and newer Vettes were more of a ride enhancement system, they have definitely progressed into the performance enhancement side also - depending on the model and year. When the Grand Sport was created, the base coupe and convertible with F55 MagneRide got the base brakes again putting it back into the ride enhance mode for the base Vettes.

F-55 is not a "brake option package".

It is a ride control system controlled by that knob on your center console which says "tour" and "sport".

F-55 is a set of ride-adaptive shock absorbers which can act in near real time. The only comparison you can draw with Z-51 is that option has fixed-valve shocks.

In a general sense, F-55 is a ride enhancement whereas Z-51 is a package of performance enhancements.
Hi Hib, Thank you for your reply. How come the front and rear brake rotors are drilled and slotted, I don't think that is standard equipment. you said that it's not a brake option, does that mean it comes with the ride control system? Sorry for my lack of knowledge. Thank you, Bill.

I wish the "specifications" section of the CAC had more detailed info on the differences here like it has for the C4 suspension chart.

Anyway, the Z51 cars get stiffer springs and stabilizer bars and fixed rate shocks compared to a base Corvette. Z51 also gets the big brakes which I believe are "J55" on the RPO list.

The "F55" cars appear to have the base springs and stabilizer bars and get the MagneRide shocks plus the big brakes - in 2008. Previous Vettes with F55 didn't get the big brakes - our '06 F55 car didn't have them but our '08 F55 car did.

If you're looking for a track car, the Z51 option is the way to go. If you spend most of the time on the streets, then F55 is a better choice IMO. The MagneRide shocks in SPORT do a pretty good job of "stiffening" up the suspension for spirited driving sessions - I will not say that it bring the car up to the Z51 standards but it's pretty good. In Tour, the ride is much smoother.

As a side note here, the ZR1 gets the MagneRide shock package - different programming I'm sure compared to a "regular" Vette. The ZO7 Performance enhance package on the ZO6 gets MagneRide shocks also.

While the initial F55 systems on the 2003 and newer Vettes were more of a ride enhancement system, they have definitely progressed into the performance enhancement side also - depending on the model and year. When the Grand Sport was created, the base coupe and convertible with F55 MagneRide got the base brakes again putting it back into the ride enhance mode for the base Vettes.

Thank you. Very good information as well.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom