Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Please Help Identify This Part

jgmotto

I'm nearing completion of my engine rebuild and I have this part left over. I thought I had everything tagged and bagged but this one doesn't show up on any photos. Does anyone know what it's for and where it goes? The car is an '89 L98 auto. The fitting is about 2" long and has what appears to be about an 1/8" pipe tap.

Looks like part of the oil pressure sending unit hookup. It goes on the drivers side of the distributor to get the switch out of the cluttered area and pointed towards the master cylinder/brake booster area.

Any chance it could be an updated version of this part on my 86? It's the only thing that I've seen that even looks similar and the dimensions are correct. It connects from the intake to a hose that goes to a heater hose. It's located just under and beside the distributer. Dead center in this pic.
DSCIntakePart803.JPG

Sorry, you will find a 1/8" oil port in the rear of the block to the drivers side of the distributor just behind the intake manifold.. This is where this goes and your oil pressure sending unit threads into it.. Use teflon tape to seal the threads. If you crank the engine with this out, you will immediatly know as you will have an oil gusher (MESS!).

Hey, thanks! You guys rock! I've been looking all over the block and didn't see that port. The intake is still off and I overlooked it thinking it was a bolt hole. Thanks again.

The fitting you show in your picture is a male flared fitting which is normally used for vacuum or fuel. Since it is next to the distributor I would say it is a vacuum fitting. I just looked under the hood of my 1990 and tried to take a picture but, there is so much crap in the way, no go. I can see my oil pressure sending unit about 2-2 1/2" from the block pointing towards the brake booster. In a normal Chevy small block it would mount vertically out of the block.

You were right, OldChev, it is the oil pressure sending unit. There sure is a bunch of stuff in the way. I had photos pointing right in there and still can't see it. For anyone that may need to know in the future, here's a photo of how I believe it will go back together. The intake manifold actually nests over the top of the fitting so it has to go in first. It must be oriented something like I've got it in the photo so it will miss the wiper motor (not installed yet).

The fitting in the first picture (by the distributor) is a coolant line to the top of the manifold that was only used on certain years.

jgmotto, you're right on. That should be the exact orientation; a black two-prong fitting snaps on top of the pipe.
[RICHR]

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom