Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Please recommend Ramp Manufacturer

andrewc4

Corvette
1994 Polo Green Coupe
I need to buy a set of ramps. My wife says, you're getting under the car, (this is after hearing me say for 20 years, I HATE getting under cars), so get the best ones made.

I've seen Rhinos that look a thin for the C4 tires and I'm not sure if they are long enough for the low leading edge of the car. The larger Rhinos have a good gross weight capacity, also have seen Rhino low profile Rhinos, 11" wide and 8.5" lift.

Then I've seen the 'racing ramps' that look pretty light weight, (low gross weight capacity), and a lot of money.

Any recommendations?

Rhino Low Profile. The rears fit fine, and the front air dam just folds away slightly.

I have two sets; neither perfect. One is a two-piece. I use blocks of wood to step-up the tires so my lowered car's spoiler gets less 'bent'.

:w

I made a set of ramps out of 2x6's to lift the vechicle far enough to slide the jack and jackstands under. I prefer to work under a vehicle on jackstands. Mid america sells a wide low profile ramp. I think it is made of solid plastic, so the idea of breaking isn't as worrysome.

vetteboy86 said:
I made a set of ramps out of 2x6's to lift the vechicle far enough to slide the jack and jackstands under. I prefer to work under a vehicle on jackstands. Mid america sells a wide low profile ramp. I think it is made of solid plastic, so the idea of breaking isn't as worrysome.

I have seen the ramps in the Mid-America catalog and have considered ordering them. They are listed in the "new items" C4 section and sell for about $40. Anybody have them? Your comments please

If they fit the tire, they have to be better then the old metal ones. I used those for about a year, and was always nervous because I couldn't line up the tires always, and one would be sticking half way off. If they fit the tire, that is a good investment.

tlong said:
Rhino Low Profile. The rears fit fine, and the front air dam just folds away slightly.

:_rock Love mine!

Looking on the Auto Zone web site it appears that the Rinos they sell are the same as the ramps shown in the Mid-America catalog. At least the specs match and the picture looks the same.

I've used Rhino Ramps for a couple years; I wasn't aware of there being two different styles. I put a 2x6 in front of the ramps so the spoiler will clear, but otherwise it's plenty wide for the tire and easy for the car to climb.
[RICHR]

Now that is why I love this site so much!!!!!!!!! Great link and great idea for the $ conscious Vette owner!!! Thanks again!!

Bought 12K Rhino's and built 'ramps for the ramp' with 2 * 12 * 4' and drilled a hole so an anchor bolt can be dropped through to the Rhinos, then tapered the edges with a 60 degree cut, and supported them with a 1 * 1 * 12 a little forward of midpoint. The combo works great, Rhinos could be a little higher, (now if I could only drive up the ramps without stalling).

Guy said:
Someone pointed me to this site a couple of years ago, so I made a set of these:
http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/News/mwramps/

They worked for my 82's and my C5.

:w
Guy

I made these, but I added a 2x12 step at the bottom and made them a little higher in doing so. I also added some wheels and handles so that i could stand them up and roll them around. The 2x12 makes me feel a little more safe and the wheels allow me to store them up out of the way and still easy to move.

The "Mustang" ramps look great. After using the Rhinos to change the oil and transmission fluid, I find they move around too much, too low in mass, I put 2x4's between the Rhino's and the wall to prevent them from moving towards the wall. Additionally, I found the end of the ramp to deform slightly under load. Going to give the "M" ramps a shot.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom