Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

please tell me I didn't ruin my expensive chrome bumpers

Always the hard way...

...For me, usually! I hear you Barry! It does s**k sometimes with the best of intentions some of us always find out the hard way.

I still don't think that you could have caused scratches that can't be hidden or professionally buffed out with the right equipment. I would listen to the painter about the paint! Sounds like a nice carnuaba spritz is just what the car needs, and a nice soft cover! Good luck with the chrome, Tom:upthumbs

I just saw the pics. I think it is not as bad as it looks, JMHO. Maybe there might be something a pro can tell you as a fix short of re-chrome job?

Barry, thanks for the pictures....WOW.....it is more obvious than I would have imagined, at least with the light you had, when they are on a car, I am not so sure that you will be able to tell, and out door light is a lot different than the light you might have been taking the pictures in.....sorry....I know how you feel....you will always know it is there....I am just starting on my car....and I know from experience that I will have some of those in it....I had when I trimmed out my house...no one knew they were there....but every time I walked past an area...I knew they were there.....I know the feeling.....

As I mentioned in my previous post, you cannot remove the swirls with any kind of kind of rouge or any other product.
Many people don't realize that Chrome is a micro thin CLEAR plateing over nickle. Nickle is the shiney stuff. Chrome was developed in the late 1920's to plate over decorative nickle to prevent tarnishing. It also adds a slightly more intense shine. Once scratched, thats it. Trying to buff or polish it out will only cut through the chrome plate and expose the bare nickle which will show even more. With some care you should be able to tenporarily fill the scatches with a few coats of good wax. The same care is required for stainless, polished aluminum, brass, gold etc.
Have you ever buffed polished aluminum with Chrome polish? It looks great at first but seems to dull very quickly.

00fxd said:
As I mentioned in my previous post, you cannot remove the swirls with any kind of kind of rouge or any other product.
Many people don't realize that Chrome is a micro thin CLEAR plateing over nickle. Nickle is the shiney stuff. Chrome was developed in the late 1920's to plate over decorative nickle to prevent tarnishing. It also adds a slightly more intense shine. Once scratched, thats it. Trying to buff or polish it out will only cut through the chrome plate and expose the bare nickle which will show even more. With some care you should be able to tenporarily fill the scatches with a few coats of good wax. The same care is required for stainless, polished aluminum, brass, gold etc.
Have you ever buffed polished aluminum with Chrome polish? It looks great at first but seems to dull very quickly.

Yes, I've realized you are completely correct and this has been a big education on chrome for me. I've accepted that the swirls are there to stay until I can get the bumper rechromed or just replaced.
I'll never be using chrome polish on chrome or SS trim pieces ever again!
Before this happened I never realized that the chrome was that delicate.
At least after this and the info from you and JohnZ about the make-up of the chrome I know more than I did before. I just hope that at some point i'm actually able to learn something useful BEFORE I screw up what i'm working on at the time.

TWINRAY said:
:w
Hold on here a minute now, that doesn't look "CORRECT"

something on Bob's car isn't correct??
;LOL ;LOL ;LOL ;LOL

well, if you mean correct referring to STOCK, than you are right, there isn't much correct on his car. On the other hand, if you wanted a MODERN Midyear that must go as fast as spit in the dry dessert and looks incrediably mean and tough looking than it's about as correct as I've ever seen!
:)

Barry a sincere I feel your pain.

What material did you use on it excactly?

For sure I dont think your at fault nor would I think you would need to seek advice on how to polish a chrome bumper.

Again sorry for the troubles. I have polished my chrome bumpers several times and have never had the results you have had.I for one would have never thought chrome was that fragile.

Sorry As for you question on building a web site on another post(I lost track of where it was) When I get a chance I will put something in the off topic section (or maybee Bob can do it before me) and whats needed to build a small web site. The way I went was very difficult for a novice computer user as my self

Hey Barry,
If you can use microsoft word or powerpoint you can build a website. Look into microsoft front page. You can make it SUPER easy if you buy webspace with front page extensions (set up for front page use) or make it easy if you just use front page and free web space. No coding..... All you need is a simple photo editor, front page, and some very basic web server understanding, and maybe a simple FTP program. You'd be surprised at what you can whip up.

Brian

Another bit of info: Once a bumper has been in the copper plateing tank, then it goes into the nickle tank for 2-2 1/2 hrs, it is then into the chrome tank for 5-10 min, = triple plateing. Copper/nickle/chrome. Some call that 'Show Chrome'. Our show chrome was copper-polished-copper polished again, nickle, chrome. Some shops only double plate, nickle/chrome, not like oem. Always ask. Tho there are some shops that do a very nice job with only double plateing. Just not as durable, not that your collector car is gonna see many more snowstorms.

IH2LOSE said:
What material did you use on it excactly?

Sorry As for you question on building a web site on another post(I lost track of where it was) When I get a chance I will put something in the off topic section (or maybee Bob can do it before me) and whats needed to build a small web site. The way I went was very difficult for a novice computer user as my self

Disclaimer: This is for info only and my intention is NOT to "slam" or "trash" this brand or product.... (although it obviously did not work well for me)

Larry, the stuff I used on the bumper was 3M Professional Formula Chrome & Metal Polish.
its says it "Restores Lustre" and "Removes surface rust, oxidation and tarnish from Chrome, Stainless Steel and other automotive metals".

The directions said to apply using a clean terry cloth towel. Rub aggressively until polish dries, keep turning towel. Buff to a high glass using a clean cotton terry cloth towel.

Pretty simple directions really so don't understand how it went wrong.
;shrug
Obviously this stuff is way to abrasive or else Paragon (whom I believe is the ones making the bumpers for GM Restoration) is getting real cheap on their quality of plating.

I'll keep and eye out in the off-topic room regarding the website info. Before I did anything I was going to PM you and Bob anyway to see if you had any suggestions considering how nice both of your sites are but a thread about it would be a benefit to all. :)

allcoupedup said:
Hey Barry,
If you can use microsoft word or powerpoint you can build a website. Look into microsoft front page. You can make it SUPER easy if you buy webspace with front page extensions (set up for front page use) or make it easy if you just use front page and free web space. No coding..... All you need is a simple photo editor, front page, and some very basic web server understanding, and maybe a simple FTP program. You'd be surprised at what you can whip up.

Brian

Hi Brian

Word, Power Point, and Photoshop are not a problem but Front page is a major one since it's not made for Macintosh computers and the whole network here at home is all Macs.

Barry,

Just a short story about my experience with getting some pieces rechromed. I took some small pieces (license plate light housings for my '60) to Frankford Plating in Philly. I was prepared to buy repros if the cost of replating the housings was excessive. The glass had to be taken out of the housings so there would be an additional charge for labor, reinstallation, new gaskets. The cost was roughly the same as buying repros. My thought was that if the cost was the same or less for repros I'd buy them, after all, I'd have 2 sets. Then the proprietor told me that a lot of guys buy repro stuff for Vettes and bring them right to him for replating, right out of the box! So if you remain unhappy about your swirls, get the bumper replated as opposed to buying a new repro. I'm not saying that repros in general are not quality plated, just that it seems some may not be up to snuff.

Thats also very common knowledge in the plating industry. Repro's for the most part don't fit and or work right, plus low quality plateing. If you have an original, plate it and use it damn the cost. I always say, thank God for repro stuff IF YOU DON'T HAVE AN ORIGINAL!!!!

All four of my bumpers were in excellent perfect condition, even the insides of them are very clean and bright so I'm assuming that all four were replaced during the restoration before I purchased the car, than a month after i got the car an idiot sitting in front of me at a stoplight backed up into me bending both front bumpers and brackets (luckily no fiberglass damage though) so the fronts were both replaced with the GM restoration units.
Because of this I figured that since the originals were gone anyway and they are repro's that a single bumper new couldn't be that much more than replating it although I really have no idea how much replating costs.

Because of this I figured that since the originals were gone anyway and they are repro's that a single bumper new couldn't be that much more than replating it although I really have no idea how much replating costs.<<<<

Barry,

My point was that it's better to get an existing repro replated at a good shop rather than buying another repro given that the originals are long gone. If your repros fit OK and it's just the swirls that are bothering you get it replated next winter. Also, with split bumpers I wouldn't worry about getting the other side done to "match". The are too far apart for anyone to notice a difference. Save that money for something else. FYI, I paid $325 to have my right rear bumper replated on my '60.

Terry, do you know if there is any quality difference between getting the existing one rechromed to get rid of the swirl marks or just buying a new one? A new one from Paragon is $425.00. I like to save money as much (or more!) than the next guy but for only a $100 difference i'd rather go with what would be the best quality.

Barry,
The original bumpers are slightly thicker, then the repros. They also are known to have a surface that is, what can be called wavey. However most have serious rust problems on the inner surface, so this is why original cores in good condition ( not the exterior surface ) are so hard to come by. If you don't intend to have the car judged, go with the repros, and sell of the others to help pay for the replacements. Just a thought.

Bob

I know as a fact the front bumpers are from Paragon and suspect that the rears are also repros as even the insides are perfectly clean, no rust, and in too perfect of a shape to be originals. The car had a body-ff before i purchased it so assume all four bumpers were replaced than. The fronts were replaced again last April when someone backed into me so none of them are original.
i'm just trying to figure if it's worth saving $100 to rechrome the repro or just buy a new repro. Any quality difference between those choices?

Barry,

As I said in a prior post, IF the bumpers are in good shape other than the swirls I'd go with the replate at a reputable shop. Why?

1. The ones you have now fit your car. This isn't always the case when you buy repros.
2. If you take the bumper to a shop that will triple plate it the way 00fxd described earlier you will have a superior plating job. What kind of plating job do you have on the bumpers you have now? You don't know, but you do know they swirled up on you. I'll bet I'm not the only one who has used chrome polish on my bumpers without getting swirls. I think something else was wrong unless you really put some gorilla arm action into the polishing process.
3. The shop that I went to said a lot of guys bring repros in to him right out of the box and have them replated. What does that tell you?

That's my 3 cents worth.

Terry
thanks, that makes sense. That's what I was looking for - an answer on if the replating is better than the plating on the repro piece as it comes from Paragon.

guess I'll look into getting it rechromed next winter.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom