Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Plug Wire Burns

leftyvette

Corvette
2000 Torch Red Coupe
I replaced the plug wires on my 2000 coupe and after about 3,000 miles had one wire burn through. The car started having an irregular misfire and I first thought that the wires may be the problem. I thought one may be loose (I never feel sure that I get a good contact). I also read a lot about the LS motor being notorious for burning plug wires. Therefore, I also inspect the wires for burns. I could not see or feel any burned spots. The car continued to misfire and the mileage dropped by about five miles per gallon. I took the wires off and found the burn.

Now for my question (finally!!)

Are the original aluminum heat shields (I still have them, but did not use them when I replaced the wires) better than the aftermarket "koolsox?" The original aluminum Shields look very hard to install.

I always use the metal shields. They are very easy to reinstall and there is no reason not to use them. Koolsox are good for header installation but if you are running stock manifolds and GM red wires just reinstall stock metal heat shields and all should be fine.

Thanks for the advice. I was leaning toward the stock shields. I was just seeing if anyone recommended the "sox." :thumb

Thanks for the advice. I was leaning toward the stock shields. I was just seeing if anyone recommended the "sox." :thumb

When I installed my new 8.5mm wires, I reinstalled the metal protectors then put on KoolSox over that. Not really for double protection, but I like the look of the Sox on my plug wires! :D

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom