Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

points to HEI wires

baxsom

Corvette
72 454 convertible, 2000 C5 Z51
Please dont flame me for this question but I just wanted to make sure.
I just bought a HEI distributer for my 72 BB and wanted to be sure of what I read. All I need to do for wires is look up wires for a 77 since that one came stock with a HEI right?

I think there are basically 3 wires? One goes to the key switch. One to the coil, the other to ground. ;shrug

As far as color code, I would assume black for ground, red for coil, and the last color for the key fob. :chuckle But, do not rely on the wire for proper coding. My HEI is in a shed a few miles away or, I'd have those wire colors for ya.

sorry i should have been more specific with my question.
i meant plug wires.
The local parts places are idiots and can only look up parts by make and engine.
If i tell them a 77 vette will they give me the plug wires I need to hook up to the cap of a HEI correctly?

I think that should work, they should be routed the same as your original wires were from the factory, the main difference is the plug end that goes in the cap. Make sure you start #1 in the correct position, the ring that snaps on the cap has the numbers on them, if it is the original ring.

I would think anything Corvette HEI 75-82 would work. If memory serves, the points type wires are 7mm and the HEI stuff is 8mm.
:)

The only problem running a 77 HEI on a 72 will be the HEI works with an electric tach and your car has a mechanical tach.

Otherwise it's an excellent upgrade as the HEI was the best distributor ignition GM ever made.

i have an HEI with tach drive on the way, I just wanted to make sure I get the correct plug wires with as little return trips to the auto store.

i have an HEI with tach drive on the way, I just wanted to make sure I get the correct plug wires with as little return trips to the auto store.

Ask for a '75 BB vette set of wires....think that was the last year for the BB vette, but it was also the first for the cat ass trophic converters....so I may be rong on the BBlock....

anything with a breaker point dizzy is wired the opposite on the terminals...so will not work....

try for a pickup truck from late 70's with a BB in there....

depending on your headers it may work out very well....

IMO, typically the long wires are way too long, and sometimes the short wires are too short.....PIA....hotrodding is like that....

:upthumbs

I use "universal" and cut and crimp the length to suit try buying from one of the speed shop mail order houses.

I use "universal" and cut and crimp the length to suit try buying from one of the speed shop mail order houses.

i thought about that as well.

what should i look for to make it as easy as possible. i have never used the universal ones before.

i thought about that as well.

what should i look for to make it as easy as possible. i have never used the universal ones before.

here is a set I have used

accel universal

DSC00714.JPG

put the one end on the spark plug run the wire the way you want it cut and terminate. I usually start with the shortest wire in the kit and find a plug that I don't have to cut the wire to fit it to then work my way to the longest wire. :upthumbs

46.jpg

Now is the time to change the wires by using a universal make up performance set in 8MM. Depending on the company of manufacture there are several colors available and probably all of them are of similar quality. Most sets we have sold has 90 degree plug boots on one end and straight on the other. Just cut the end your not using off. The 90`s are for running the wires down the back from the distributor at the firewall and under the headers up to the plugs. Gets the wires out of sight and cleans up the upper half of the engine from wires running all over. The other end naturally goes to the distributor .Distributor boots and hardware is packed with the wires. It`s nothing unique as GM has run the SB wires in the same location for years before electronic injection

The important item is the 'crimping pliers'. Not cheap but most ignition companies offer this set at approximately 40 bucks. Normally found and illustrated in the wire companies buyers guide. Chain stores with computers and not to bright of countermen would not be a good source for this tool. It attaches the wire ends as factory. A cheap hardware or parts store pair will not get the job done correctly. Ignition companies that do offer this tool are 'Standard' and 'Belding' for sure. They would also have the correct performance wires....:upthumbs. it`s up to you now....

Cool,
Thanks for all the help. I ordered a set of 8mm MSD universal HEI wires that come with a crimping tool.

This should be a fun experience. (at least better than trying to remember where all the check balls in my valve body went anyway)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom