Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Polishing Aluminum Rims (2004 MY)

timfitz63

Corvette
'98 Aztec Gold Coupe; '04 Millennium Yellow 'Vert'
Are the optional polished aluminum rims that were offered on the base-model vehicles coated with anything (e.g., clear coat)?

What's the best way to polish them, and what products should be avoided if there is a clear coat finish on the rims? Anybody use the Mothers Mag & Aluminum Polish for this application?

Are the optional polished aluminum rims that were offered on the base-model vehicles coated with anything (e.g., clear coat)?

What's the best way to polish them, and what products should be avoided if there is a clear coat finish on the rims? Anybody use the Mothers Mag & Aluminum Polish for this application?

Clear coat and they are delicate .Treat the wheels just like you treat the rest of your car's finish .

:werd:

I just hit mine with wax every time I was the car. They stay cleaner that way.

I just hit mine with wax every time I was the car. They stay cleaner that way.

Yeah, I think I read that recommendation elsewhere, possibly the owner's manual. Just wondered how "abrasive" I could get when polishing them; sounds like not very much...

Thanks for the information!

I use the same stuff that I use on the car's body - Zaino. Shines up really nice and helps keep brake dust off.

Tim - If your wheel's clear coat looks murky, I'd say strip the clear coat off and hit em with Mothers Mag & Aluminum Polish and a PowerBall. :upthumbs

They will look better than new, the only draw back is they'll want you to treat em with Mothers ocassionally. :w

:lou
L8TR - D

Wheels on my 99 Silverado started looking murky, I hit them with Adams Swirl and Haze remover and they look pretty darn good now. And I was thinking I'd have to strip the clearcoat off and do the polish routine. Might be worth a try!

Tom - The haze I'm referencing is between the clear coat and aluminum, age brings this out in most clear coat covered wheels. :w

L8TR - D

Thanks for the suggestions, guys! Yeah, I think my problem is with the clear coat finish itself, not the underlying rim surface. The finish needs some brightening up -- got some swirls and such going on -- and I wasn't sure if there was a clear coat finish on these rims, or if it was bare metal.

When I get a chance, I'm going to try some "haze & swirl" polishing treatments that I already have for my vehicles' paint finishes (Scratch X and a Meguiar's 3-step system), but will fall back on the other product suggestions (Zaino, Adams) if those fail to please.

Thanks again!

Wheels

Tim,

I have polished aluminum wheels with the factory clear coat on my 07 Trailblazer.
I just recently called the Blue Magic company and the rep there said I can apply their "Metal Polish Cream" on the wheels with a sponge type buffer wheel and remove it by hand using a microfiber cloth without damaging the clear coat. If it ever cools off around here I will give it a try.
My 98 Corvette has Y2K chrome wheels. I gave them a good scrubbing with a soft brush using dish detergent in water then polished them with Maguiar's Ultimate Quik Wax for a fabulous shine.

Keep 'em rollin' :W
Bill

Thanks, Bill! I'll keep those product recommendations in mind as well!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom