Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Polishing Titanium Catbacks

TooFast

Corvette
2004 6 Speed Roadster and 2011 Inferno Orange Z06
I did a search and couldn't find anything. Anybody have great results polishing Z06 Ti catbacks. If so, could you post your method or polishing technique. Not the chrome tips, I am talking mufflers and pipe. Thanks.

OK, guys what's up? No one has polished titanium cats before?

Well since nobody responded I ventured out on my own. Spent 2 hours per side, used M-----s metal polish and 00 and 0000 steel wool and followed that up with a high speed buffer, with a lambswool pad. The chrome tips were interesting, used the 0000 steel wool and polishing compound to remove all of the minor scratches, this left the tips very dull, a shot with the buffer and polish and they look like new. I was very surprised at how much of the scratches the 0000 and polish removed.

Pictures before and after? My Ti's have a couple of scratches.

Well I thought someone would ask that, but I am a computer neophyte and I still can't figure out how to post images to any of these Forums.:W
I didn't take any after shots because they are all packaged up sitting on a shelf waiting for install in the spring. I will get some photos on install. Let me tell you though the difference is amazing. You didn't say where you have scratches, I assume on the tips. If you use the 0000 steel wool, with the metal polish and then follow with the high speed buffer with lambs wool pad the results are incredible. The buffer has to be high speed not an orbital, it won't generate enough heat.

Well I thought someone would ask that, but I am a computer neophyte and I still can't figure out how to post images to any of these Forums.:W

Maybe I can help with that.... here are a couple of links related to photo resizing and posting from the CAC Site help and feedback forum:

Forum Index --> here

Resizing photos --> here

Uploading photos --> here

Thanks for the suggestions on polishing the exhaust tips. Your advice will come in handy when I undertake my yearly Spring cleanup and detail soon.

:wJane Ann

I did a search and couldn't find anything. Anybody have great results polishing Z06 Ti catbacks. If so, could you post your method or polishing technique. Not the chrome tips, I am talking mufflers and pipe. Thanks. OK, guys what's up? No one has polished titanium cats before?

I've had this saved and also used this technique on the SS tips...they are not chrome!! Mine tips still look new, and I use this on client cars too!
--------------------------------------------------------------

Stainless Steel Polishing Kit
www.nakidparts.com
Thank you for purchasing my polishing kit. This kit was designed specifically to polish
the inside of stainless steel exhaust tips. It can be used on many other uncoated and nonpainted
metals and even plastics (see chart on last page). If you use it on a coated (clear
coated) metal it will damage the finish! I have perfected this method and now that you
have the correct tools you can achieve the same outstanding results as hundreds of others.
To do this properly, it’s critical that you thoroughly read and follow these steps in order
to achieve optimal and consistent results. With this kit, the effort will = the results.
Kit contains
4” High Quality Mushroom Buff w/ drill adapter
2 Special Compounds designed to take stainless steel to a mirror finish
o Brown is a medium abrasive, used to remove surface scratches
o Green is a finer abrasive, designed just for stainless steel
A supply of Simichrome polish, the best final polish hands down
o Simichrome is the world's finest all-metal polish. Any uncoated, nonferrous
metal surface – brass, gold, silver, aluminum, magnesium, pewter,
chrome, sterling, copper, stainless steel – can be brought to a brilliant
shine using Simichrome. After polishing, Simichrome leaves a thin
protective coating to help prevent tarnishing.
2 Maintenance cloths
o Yes they are diapers (new of course), these diapers are chosen because
they have 6 layers of material in the center. This allows you to wipe the
tips when hot and not burn yourself (more on this later). It’s suggested
you wash and dry these prior to use. You can use any commercial
detergent, but DO NOT use any fabric softener or dryer sheets. This will
fluff them up.
You will need
Drill, a corded drill is recommended but a good quality cordless drill will work
fine. ALWAYS RUN IN THE FORWARD SPEED ONLY
Air drills/grinders are not recommended
Flat blade screwdriver
SAFETY FIRST
Objects being thrown away from a buffing wheel can be traveling at very high
speeds, which can result in some very unpleasant and potentially deadly accidents!
Operators should ALWAYS wear SAFETY GOGGLES, APRON and GLOVES.
You Need To Know
This is unlike any car maintenance you have done before. You are not wiping on sealant
or wax, you are polishing a metal, which is a process that gently micro abrades the
surface to create reflectivity. Stainless steel is a hard metal that requires buffing with the
correct compounds to achieve this result. Proper buffing requires time, so your results
are directly related to following these steps and investing quality time with your pipes.
Pre Clean For Really Nasty Tips
You need to evaluate the current condition of your tips. Based on their condition, you
may be able to skip some of the steps below. Even if they look clean, it’s best to wipe
them down first with soap and water; grit caught in the buff will DAMAGE the finish.
If they are black with soot and containments, you will need to pre clean them. This can
be done in a number of ways, use the one that is available to you.
Lacquer/Paint thinner - Make sure the exhaust is cold, and be sure that you read and
follow all warnings on the container. Clean the tips with the remover, you should be
able to see metal with almost no black spots.
Baking soda – Make sure the exhaust is cold. Mix a small amount (about 1/2 cup) of
baking soda and a little water to make a paste (consistency of pancake syrup). Spread it
on the tips, working it around good and let it sit for ½ hr. Remove, rinse and dry. You
should be able to see metal with almost no black spots.
Bug / Tar remover - Make sure the exhaust is cold and clean with the remover. You
Time To Buff
Brown Compound
Designed to remove small scratches and defects, it will also remove soot and other
exhaust containments. Realize you will not get a mirror finish in the very inside of the
tip, but you will be able to clean this up considerably (especially if it was not prepped
from the manufacture to have a mirror finish.). Also if you have C6 stock tips do not buff
inside where the perforations are. If your tips are in good condition with a fair shine, skip
the brown compound steps and move directly to the green steps.
Install the mushroom buff in the drill. When using the buff for the first time or when you
change compounds, you will want to “rake” it using a small flat blade screwdriver. With
the drill running, move the tip of the screwdriver across the buff as shown. If this is the
first time, it will create a lot of lint so do it outside away from the car.
Running the drill at a high speed, apply the compound to the buff by firmly pressing the
compound against the buff. It is the heat from the friction that will make the compound
transfer so if it is ice cold, this could be difficult. It will not coat the buff but will leave
behind the abrasive, it does not take a lot of compound.
Next insert the buff into the tips and run at high speed. As you buff, apply pressure to the
sides, top and bottom, moving the buff in and out at the same time. You should be
spending about 1–2 minutes on each tip. Work the buff in and out with pressure. When
you get towards the outside of the tip, just let the buff center in the tip, and finish the buff
process. Wipe out any left over compound.
Repeat on the other tips reapplying the compound for each tip. You should never get the
metal very hot during the process. If it gets very hot to the touch, let it cool. When all
tips are complete, wipe them clean, it is time to move on to green.
Green Compound
Green compound is designed for stainless steel (if your tips are in good condition you can
start with this step). Rake the buff as described in the brown section. Running the drill at
a low speed, apply the compound to the buff. It does not take a lot of compound but the
buff should have a coating on it to start. Now insert the buff into the tips and run at high
speed. As you buff, apply pressure to the sides, top and bottom, moving the buff in and
out at the same time. You should be spending about 1–2 minutes on each tip. Work the
buff in and out with pressure. When you get towards the outside of the tip, just let the
buff center in the tip, and finish the buff process. Repeat on the other tips reapplying the
compound. You should never get the metal very hot during the process if it gets very hot
to the touch, let it cool. Wipe the tips clean and move on to Simichrome.
Simichrome Polish
Simichrome is the icing on the cake. Rake the buff as described in the brown section,
using the screwdriver to clean and prepare it. Apply a very small amount of Simichrome
on each tip as shown.
Now insert the buff into the tips and run at high speed. As you buff, apply pressure to the
sides, top and bottom, moving the buff in and out at the same time. You should be
spending about 1–2 minutes on each tip. Work the buff in and out with pressure and
towards the end just let the buff center in the tip and this will finish the buff process.
Repeat on the other tips. Wipe the tips clean and admire the transformation you just
accomplished. WOW!! The outside of the systems can be hand or machine buffed also.
How To Keep the Shine
This is where the diapers come in. I keep one in the rear hatch and one in the garage next
to the back of my car. I realize it’s not always practical, but each time you come home or
stop some place for the day, take the diaper as shown and wipe out the tips. This secret
works because when hot all the dirt and containments just wipe off, since the Simichrome
leaves a thin protective coating. Even if you just do this upon returning home for the day,
your tips will look great.
CAUTION: they will be very, very hot and you can get burned!
If done as shown you will be protected by 12 layers of diaper.
As needed if the tips get bad, repeat the green steps. For normal maintenance just repeat
the Simichrome step to get back that mirror shine. Never apply wax to the exhaust pipes;
it will cause them to turn yellow over time.

I've had this saved and also used this technique on the SS tips...they are not chrome!! Mine tips still look new, and I use this on client cars too!
--------------------------------------------------------------

Stainless Steel Polishing Kit
www.nakidparts.com
Thank you for purchasing my polishing kit. This kit was designed specifically to polish
the inside of stainless steel exhaust tips. It can be used on many other uncoated and nonpainted
metals and even plastics (see chart on last page). If you use it on a coated (clear
coated) metal it will damage the finish! I have perfected this method and now that you
have the correct tools you can achieve the same outstanding results as hundreds of others.
To do this properly, it’s critical that you thoroughly read and follow these steps in order
to achieve optimal and consistent results. With this kit, the effort will = the results.
Kit contains
4” High Quality Mushroom Buff w/ drill adapter
2 Special Compounds designed to take stainless steel to a mirror finish
o Brown is a medium abrasive, used to remove surface scratches
o Green is a finer abrasive, designed just for stainless steel
A supply of Simichrome polish, the best final polish hands down
o Simichrome is the world's finest all-metal polish. Any uncoated, nonferrous
metal surface – brass, gold, silver, aluminum, magnesium, pewter,
chrome, sterling, copper, stainless steel – can be brought to a brilliant
shine using Simichrome. After polishing, Simichrome leaves a thin
protective coating to help prevent tarnishing.
2 Maintenance cloths
o Yes they are diapers (new of course), these diapers are chosen because
they have 6 layers of material in the center. This allows you to wipe the
tips when hot and not burn yourself (more on this later). It’s suggested
you wash and dry these prior to use. You can use any commercial
detergent, but DO NOT use any fabric softener or dryer sheets. This will
fluff them up.
You will need
Drill, a corded drill is recommended but a good quality cordless drill will work
fine. ALWAYS RUN IN THE FORWARD SPEED ONLY
Air drills/grinders are not recommended
Flat blade screwdriver
SAFETY FIRST
Objects being thrown away from a buffing wheel can be traveling at very high
speeds, which can result in some very unpleasant and potentially deadly accidents!
Operators should ALWAYS wear SAFETY GOGGLES, APRON and GLOVES.
You Need To Know
This is unlike any car maintenance you have done before. You are not wiping on sealant
or wax, you are polishing a metal, which is a process that gently micro abrades the
surface to create reflectivity. Stainless steel is a hard metal that requires buffing with the
correct compounds to achieve this result. Proper buffing requires time, so your results
are directly related to following these steps and investing quality time with your pipes.
Pre Clean For Really Nasty Tips
You need to evaluate the current condition of your tips. Based on their condition, you
may be able to skip some of the steps below. Even if they look clean, it’s best to wipe
them down first with soap and water; grit caught in the buff will DAMAGE the finish.
If they are black with soot and containments, you will need to pre clean them. This can
be done in a number of ways, use the one that is available to you.
Lacquer/Paint thinner - Make sure the exhaust is cold, and be sure that you read and
follow all warnings on the container. Clean the tips with the remover, you should be
able to see metal with almost no black spots.
Baking soda – Make sure the exhaust is cold. Mix a small amount (about 1/2 cup) of
baking soda and a little water to make a paste (consistency of pancake syrup). Spread it
on the tips, working it around good and let it sit for ½ hr. Remove, rinse and dry. You
Bug / Tar remover - Make sure the exhaust is cold and clean with the remover. You
Time To Buff
Brown Compound
Designed to remove small scratches and defects, it will also remove soot and other
exhaust containments. Realize you will not get a mirror finish in the very inside of the
tip, but you will be able to clean this up considerably (especially if it was not prepped
from the manufacture to have a mirror finish.). Also if you have C6 stock tips do not buff
inside where the perforations are. If your tips are in good condition with a fair shine, skip
the brown compound steps and move directly to the green steps.
Install the mushroom buff in the drill. When using the buff for the first time or when you
change compounds, you will want to “rake” it using a small flat blade screwdriver. With
the drill running, move the tip of the screwdriver across the buff as shown. If this is the
first time, it will create a lot of lint so do it outside away from the car.
Running the drill at a high speed, apply the compound to the buff by firmly pressing the
compound against the buff. It is the heat from the friction that will make the compound
transfer so if it is ice cold, this could be difficult. It will not coat the buff but will leave
behind the abrasive, it does not take a lot of compound.
Next insert the buff into the tips and run at high speed. As you buff, apply pressure to the
spending about 1–2 minutes on each tip. Work the buff in and out with pressure. When
you get towards the outside of the tip, just let the buff center in the tip, and finish the buff
process. Wipe out any left over compound.
Repeat on the other tips reapplying the compound for each tip. You should never get the
metal very hot during the process. If it gets very hot to the touch, let it cool. When all
tips are complete, wipe them clean, it is time to move on to green.
Green Compound
Green compound is designed for stainless steel (if your tips are in good condition you can
start with this step). Rake the buff as described in the brown section. Running the drill at
a low speed, apply the compound to the buff. It does not take a lot of compound but the
buff should have a coating on it to start. Now insert the buff into the tips and run at high
speed. As you buff, apply pressure to the sides, top and bottom, moving the buff in and
out at the same time. You should be spending about 1–2 minutes on each tip. Work the
buff in and out with pressure. When you get towards the outside of the tip, just let the
buff center in the tip, and finish the buff process. Repeat on the other tips reapplying the
compound. You should never get the metal very hot during the process if it gets very hot
to the touch, let it cool. Wipe the tips clean and move on to Simichrome.
Simichrome Polish
Simichrome is the icing on the cake. Rake the buff as described in the brown section,
using the screwdriver to clean and prepare it. Apply a very small amount of Simichrome
on each tip as shown.
Now insert the buff into the tips and run at high speed. As you buff, apply pressure to the
spending about 1–2 minutes on each tip. Work the buff in and out with pressure and
towards the end just let the buff center in the tip and this will finish the buff process.
Repeat on the other tips. Wipe the tips clean and admire the transformation you just
accomplished. WOW!! The outside of the systems can be hand or machine buffed also.
How To Keep the Shine
This is where the diapers come in. I keep one in the rear hatch and one in the garage next
to the back of my car. I realize it’s not always practical, but each time you come home or
stop some place for the day, take the diaper as shown and wipe out the tips. This secret
works because when hot all the dirt and containments just wipe off, since the Simichrome
leaves a thin protective coating. Even if you just do this upon returning home for the day,
your tips will look great.
CAUTION: they will be very, very hot and you can get burned!
If done as shown you will be protected by 12 layers of diaper.
As needed if the tips get bad, repeat the green steps. For normal maintenance just repeat
the Simichrome step to get back that mirror shine. Never apply wax to the exhaust pipes;
it will cause them to turn yellow over time.
Thanks for posting this! Nice write up!!!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom