Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Poly vs rubber bushings?

bbp

Has any one had problems with poly? Do they sqeak? Just looking for good information for people with actual experience. Thanks Brent

There's two types of poly bushings- 1) the ones that already squeak, and 2) the ones that will start squeaking someday.

Poly bushings are one of those brilliant marketing ideas that try to fix problems that don't exist, and cause new problems instead.

Most people believe they are better because they compare the ride quality of their 40 year old rubber bushings to that of their new poly bushings. Nobody I know of has ever compared new rubber with new poly.

I made the mistake of putting poly on my '73 and regret it every day.

When I re-did my '73 I used the rubber. Figured if the original rubber ones lasted 25+ years, then I should be good for awhile. To me the poly are for racing. So if you autocross or road race then go for it. Otherwise stay with the rubber.

tom...

I recently had my entire suspension, brakes, drive train (basically everything under the wheel well) replaced. My 'Vettes only' mechanic would only install rubber... he has been working on Vettes for decades and has no love for poly. He says it is very over-hyped as a replacement option.

Poly bushings are one of those brilliant marketing ideas that try to fix problems that don't exist, and cause new problems instead.

See above! ;stupid

rlm :cool

Lube up Poly, and let's go Racing !!

If you lube the poly properly when installed, they will not squeak. They are a tougher material and hence, when the car is driven hard it is less prone to distort suspension settings in hard cornering. But for every good handling item used, you will give up ride comfort and get harshness.

Ever ride in a real road race car? Hard as a rock. It won't give in a corner, but will ride hard as a rock.

Rubber is great for street cars, and we don't drive these Corvettes but an occasional Sunday anyway, so why not replace 'as original'?

I was going to re-do the rubber bushings in my '69 that I put on in 1980 (that probably (do) have less than 5000 miles on them) with poly this winter because the darn things look like their cracking. Now maybe I'll just leave the rubber in. I can't believe all the negative comments about poly:confused
:w

Jim hit the nail on the head.

I swapped out ALL the bushings with poly on a 280Z I built as a road racer. Never had any problems with squeaking. Ride was ROUGH (also had coilovers, MASSIVE sway bars, full roll cage, etc.). Thing cornered like a CHAMP! When it comes time to replace the bushings on the Vette, I'll go rubber though. Better for normal street driving.

Vaughn

There may be an advantage to poly....... but you'll need big race/sticky tires to actually generate enough load where rubber deflection is an issue.

Remember, we're talking about midyears, and you just can't get a big race tire under the fenders unless you cut the car up.

I went with all rubber except for the rear struts, and the F&R sway bar links, which are black poly.

I used polygraphite from PST on my 67 BB and so far I love them (13 months and 18K miles) no squeeks. I drive it very hard and track it (lots of race stuff) so for me it was the way to go but it rides hard (can you say rock). Not for everybody, I guess I have type 2 bushings. Oh well, what the hell.

Best regards,
Gerry

Hey Gerry;
You used all PST bushings on your car including body mounts? I don't think I would used em on the body mounts. The reason that I'm asking is that I was sold on them and excited about useing them for my front susp, sway bars, spring bushings and rear trailing arms. I don't mind it to be a little more rough but if they're gonna be like solid bushings or something I don't want that. Squeaking would suck too! What are type 2 bushings?
Thanks, Frank.

Poly vs. rubber

How is your ride and handling as I am considering replacing everything with rubber except poly for the sway bars? Hopefully, the ride will still be tolerable and handling in tight situations will improve, no...? :beer

66427-450 said:
There may be an advantage to poly....... but you'll need big race/sticky tires to actually generate enough load where rubber deflection is an issue.

Remember, we're talking about midyears, and you just can't get a big race tire under the fenders unless you cut the car up.

I went with all rubber except for the rear struts, and the F&R sway bar links, which are black poly.

I have poly everywhere and like it. Changing to poly alone with normal springs really doesn't make the ride harsh - minor effect. Most people change other things at the same time and then blame poly. If you install the bushing correctly, they are less likely to squeak. Problem is, the instructions with the bushings are so bad many people don't install them right. You MUST have slight clearance between the bushings and the washers on the ends. If you don't, they start to squeak. Getting that clearance requires you to shave the bushing in some applications, and I suspect many people don't do that. The instructions don't clearly say what you need to do to avoid squeaking anyway.

As I have said before in other threads, if I did it all over again I would use rubber on the front control arms, and poly on the rear trailing arm fronts. Use rubber for rear spring bolts. Use poly on sway bars and end links.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom