Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Poor Idle on a 1981

T

tkmcelligott

First off, thanks to everyone in this group, its a great source of info for a new vette owner like myself. Anyway my Vette idles rough other than that it seems to run fine, every few minutes when driving the check engine light will come on then go off. I tryed checking the codes off the computer per the instructions in the Haynes manual but the light just stays on and never flashes. I don't know what to try now. Thanks for any help.

tkmcelligott ~ Welcome to the Corvette Action Center Community ~

Rough idle can be a number of things... I'd start with checking all the vacuum lines for splits or deteration. Check for air leaks around the carb. You can spray WD40 around the carb to see if you are sucking air around the carb, or cover the throat of the carb to see if it dies or you hear air being sucked in around the carb.

Make sure the timing is correct, check the pcv valve...

The check engine light.. one of the most common problems with the 1981 is the Oxygen Sensor going bad.. have you shorted out the plug under the ashtray and watched the codes flash?
You need to short between terminals D & E , I'm not sure about the Haynes manual proceedure, I have the 1981 Shop manual. Try the Haynes and see what happens.. Does the Haynes manual mention "Code 12"? one flash, a short pause, then two flashes, then repeats..

Good Luck

The Haynes manual instructs you to turn the ignition to on with the motor not running and put a jumper from terminal D and E. I did this and the light just stays on. It tells me I should get a code 12 then any error messages but I don't. Am I doing something wrong?

tkmcelligott,

Try disconnecting the battery for about 15 minutes, the re-connect and see what you get. :confused

BudD
:w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom