Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Popping noise from the exhaust at tickover.

A

ashy22

Hi all
I wonder if you guys have come across this one.
When my 1971 454 LS5 corvette is sat there idling on tickover I get this popping noise every now and then from the exhaust as though something is missing. Is it an electrical problem or carb?
No problem under acceleration or at constant speed - just at tickover.

Any ideas?
Cheers
Paul :0)

By tickover I mean at idle speed say 800rpm
Is "tickover" an English (UK) expression?
Cheers
Paul

ashy22 said:
Is "tickover" an English (UK) expression?

I guess so Paul, I sure never heard of it! But as usual, if you give it some thought it makes sense (sorta). :L

_ken :w

Okay, so at idle it has a steady pop, pop, pop, coming out of the exhaust?

I would guess you are dead missing on one or more cylinders.

How old are the spark plugs? Are your plug wires fairly new, and fresh?

You may have a plug that is not as hot as the others, and it is skipping and sputtering at low RPM and votage levels.

I would suggest checking that, and at least checking the gap on the plugs.

maybe unburned fuel accumulating in the exhaust and detonating? If so, cause could be a "heavy" float, rich mixture adjustment, internal carb leakage, etc.

Paul:
I agree with all the others' suggestions ... take a look at ignition first ... then fuel/carb. I have also witnessed a pal chase a miss in a 350 V8 Suburban ... ignition, fuel etc. Turned out that two lobes on camshaft were worn ... fresh wires, plugs & carb were nice but didn't fix ... new cam & lifters did. Again ... start with ignition first ... then fuel/carb ... lastly lifters/cam.
JACK:gap

Hi Paul,
A popping sound (almost like it's missing) on tick over ;) could quite simply be an over rich idle mixture. Has it always done it, or did it start doing it after some mods/service/etc?
Paul

Yes, it has always done it to a degree. It pops intermittently, with the odd one louder than the others. It comes from the passenger side exhaust.
Thanks for all the help - I will investigate further.
:0)

maybe its back firing,, out of your exhaust

i had mine do that,,,

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom