Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Por 15

Islander

Corvette
1966 roadster
On the POR 15 instructions sheet it says to brush POR 15 right on top or rust after brushing off the large scales. It does mention that it won't be nearly as effective if brushed over paint. Does the green etching primer on a birdcage count as such paint? Will it be as effective if brushed over the factory etching primer?

I don't know the definitive answer, but from my experience with POR-15 (and I did my entire frame and many, many other pieces), I would want to remove that primer. At the very least, I would scuff it up real good and make sure that all powder and residue is removed.

Yeah, that's what I've been doing. I was just trying to get around some sandblasting and sanding work. Guess I have another weekend of work left.... Thanks.

STRIP THE SURFACE, It will work much better, Its GREAT STUFF!!!!!!!!!!!Good Luck!!!!! Paul:beer

Yup, strip it...POR 15 needs to catalyze directly with the iron in the metal (or rust) to form its hard coating.

drags1998 said:
STRIP THE SURFACE, It will work much better

Viking427 said:
Yup, strip it...POR 15 needs to catalyze directly with the iron in the metal (or rust) to form its hard coating.
You guys using POR 15 for the frame? what other parts?

thanks

I'm using it on the birdcage and on parts such as the brake/clutch pedal assembly.

I've used it on my frame, rear T arms, and everything that was black on the rear suspension rebuild last winter. Currently I'm using it for the front suspension rebuild. Front part of frame upper and lower control arms, steering knuckle, etc. I know it's not stock but it looks great and will never have to be painted again.

john

Are you putting anything over the POR-15? I realize that the frame and suspension pieces are UNDER the car, but I've always been told to topcoat it, especially if sunlight can get to it.

Yes it should be top coated if any will get direct UV light. My upper control arms will get top coated, but nothing else.

Here is the por 15 site. They have instructions and spec sheets on all there products.

http://www.por15.com/default.asp

john

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom