Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Possible Temp Gauge Problem

KikiPhillips

Corvette
Hello again, Before I put everything back together, I decided to check the Temp Gauge because before it never moved much.

So I read the Willcox tech pages on it and it says put 12v on the top post (12 o'clock) and ground the 3 o'clock post. It didn't move (wasn't suppose too) Then with 12v only and no ground suppose to peg to the right, still no movement.

As I understand it the Ohms resistor is that little tab between the ground and the un-used post (9 o'clock) but the sending / receiving post is the bottom (6 o'clock).

So do I need a new one? Any other test to make sure it's bad before buying a new one?

If everything was still plugged in then it's most likely the guage. (Unless you got you 3oclock mix up the 9ocklock, ground is 3 o'clock viewed from the back of the unit.)

Is the light blue resistor still at the back of the gauge? Otberwise I also tbink it's the gauge :)

Greetings Peter

I'm questioning all my gauges now except the fuel gauge, Does anyone know which are the "Hot" wires and Ground wires on the: Oil Temp gauge - Water Temp gauge - Oil Pressure gauge - Battery gauge?

I'm scared I fried the Printed circuit board trying to test these damn gauges because everything seems to have continuity.....

Thanks in advance!

I think that all the ground terminals on the printed circuit are connected together and the hot wires are separate so you can look at that :)

Greetings Peter

I think that all the ground terminals on the printed circuit are connected together and the hot wires are separate so you can look at that :)

Greetings Peter
There's a couple of grounds in the connector for the gauges.
The hot wires to the gauges are all connected together. But i don't think creating a short would damage your gauges.
I assume your fuel gauge still works fine?
For the coolant temp gauge 12v is the top post. for the other gauges (excluding oil temp) 12v is the right post when viewed from behind.
Your oil temp gauge has a separate plug to the others, so if you are having troubles with this gauge the problem must be elsewhere.
What exactly are your gauges now doing that's strange?

Well...I've been re-testing the gauges and I think they're ok now. The Water Temp gauge is just slow to move around, which is not what I expected. I think the problem with it might be the sending unit. I'll replace it and then run the engine for a bit and see what happens.

Thanks again for the quick reponses.....Also, a quick Shout-Out to a company "Mullikins Corvette" in S.C. I bought the power seat track for my 1982 for $125 + shipping $50 core. What a great price!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom