Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Post your soultions to LEAKS!

BigRed

Corvette
1985 Bright Red Rocket
Anyone have any interesting Ideas on how to stop/reduce the amount of water one gets on his shoulders!! Please feel free to comment on ideas no matter how obsene you think it is, ive about had it (just short of making a true jam for the window to sit in Grr);help ;help ;help ;help ;help

Move to sunny southern California... Nah! There are too many people here already. :L

[size=-1]All Corvettes leak.[/size] ;)
_ken :w

Gee, Ken, with all the folks you sent here, I thought you might be able to start taking in folks again! :L

Sorry BigRed, got carried away :(

Really, what have you done so far with the leak problem?

Colorado :w

Hey BigRed,

Mine isn't a C4 like yours, but I dealt with my share of leaks for several years!

I saw great improvement when I replaced my weatherstriping on the doors, pillars and t-tops. I also had my windshield re-set twice. The second reset appeared to have fixed the leak I was getting from 'under the t-tops', I think it was actually coming in under the moulding/flashing(?)
I treat my weatherstrip regularly with die-electric gel, and someone mentioned to me that I should periodically loosen or remove the t-tops to allow the weatherstrip to 'un-crush' and make a better seal when re-attached.
I currently have a leak over my shoulder, too. This is due to poor window alignment that will be getting corrected soon as we can hook up with a friend with the know-how (who does this type of repair all the time).

Until that happens, I keep a towel over my shoulder, like I'm burping a baby. I also pull the seats forward and tilt them to the front, draping a towel to catch any drips that occur while 78 is parked. I have found that it is usually the driving wind's pressure that forces the leak, and if it is raining lightly, I have no problem. I don't like to drive in heavy rain, but that is only due to not wanting to hit a pond in the road and have it throw me into oncoming traffic or off the road.
I like the look of a wet 'vette! They look clean and sleek with the water all beaded up on them! ;)
Silver

I read in I believe in CorvetteFever, that along with treating the weather stripping you should in fact unlatch the t-tops and close your doors just to keep the critter's out but not all the way.
This is how I store my car winter's and when I'm not driving it.
I also have a problem with my driver side window alinement, when I put my new door panels on I will in fact fix that( I hope)

I know this doesn't fix your problem but , it may make new stripping last longer if you end up installing new ones.

Rick

nyernga said:
hey Ken........if it's so sunny in California.................why dont you get out more?;)

They let me look out the window. :L

1asp045_eyeballs.gif

Ive reaplaced all seals, try realigning the roof panel (real success job lemme tell ya) and this year Im converting my power windows from a 85 to a 86+ style. Other than that shes stock.

I was thinking about using the windows sill but Ive want to see what they look like first.

Is this water getting in due to miss alignment/ bad seals OR poor Chevy design of the roof drip channel? To properly answer this question we need to know the answer.

Bill C

It would be real har to state all the things that could be done to help reduce leak problems there are a number of them that I have used over the years first thing you need to do is find just where the water is coming in. I know your shoulder is getting wet but there are many reasons you could be getting wet on the sholder and only one being glass aligment. It could be coming in under the weatherstrip retainer, inbetween the front and side strips. It could be coming in over the top left weatherstrip. You will need to remove the inner trim panels and get some foot powder spray and spray around the seam and get in on the inside while someone pores water on the top and with luck you will be able to get a better idea of how it is getting in then the next step is to stop it.

David Fulcher

nyernga said:
I installed those drip tracks that ecklers sells and when its raining(not that I take the vette out in the rain) ...Len

Probably a good thing Len. I'd hate to think of you stranded and locked out and getting wet too:L:L Sorry but I couldn't resist.

- Eric :w

When I got my 85 it leaked like heck. I put sticky back foam tape around the outside edges of the top and put a coat of black RTV on the weather stripping. When it dried I put the top back on. No more leaks.

Course now I have to plug up the holes in the floor board I made for the water to drain out.:upthumbs

Explains why someone had put the hole in the driver side floor of mine as well. I hope you didn't use a hammer too.

SUCCESS! I haven't done the window motors yet BUT I aligned the window to the best of my ability and the drivers side window is Better! Passenger I noticed no change (Oh well hehe) When I change out the motors I'll do it properly with everything apart.

Plus has anyone seen those Soft tops for the Coupes? Ecklers, Mid America, Corvette America all have one they are around 250 bucks Id like to know how are they? Has anyone has success with them or do they suck? (Like Leak,Noisy) If not I'll order one Imediatly.

I fixed (Jimmy rigged) my 89 Camaro similar to what Eagle85C4 did. I put some open cell foam under the whether stripping to prop it up a bit. In some places that still was not enough. I poked a small hole in the wheather strip and slid some open cell foam in to it to make it a little thicker/firmer. That did the trick for most rainy days.

Paul

All Vettes Don't Leak

No leaks in mine although there is plenty of opportunity with our weather patterns. Luck? Hmmm maybe. Black magic and seances might have helped. :BOW

jj

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom