Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

potential problems with 1997 C5

R

ron

I have a chance to purchase a 1997 C5 for what I consider a very reasonable price. The car is in excellent condition with under 40k miles. It is a 6 speed and has the handling package. I currently own a C4 that I use as a daily driver, but considering the C5 as a "special driver". Could anyone give me a heads up as to the reliablilty or any recurring problems with this year? Also, anything I need to look for before making the purchase. Any guidance and thoughts relative to these questions would be greatly appreciated, and thanks.

Ron

I've had no major problems with my 98 vert, other than intermittent problems with the fuel gauge (but not in the last 6 months) and water leaking in between the top and the window on my leg when it rains. But don’t forget to get the steering column fixed if it hasn’t had the modification yet.

One other thing that’s not major but just a little irritating … the battery cables seem to loosen up and have to be tightened occasionally.

My 97 C5 has no problems at all. It has over 46,000 miles and runs great! I do not regret buying mine. Lets us know your decision.

I have a '99 with 50,000 miles and enjoyed every minute of it and I will enjoy the next 50,000 miles as well. I have had only minor problems that were covered under arranty. I have an externded warranty. I got it just in case because as cars get older things do go wrong and I don't want to pay out of my pocket.

The 98 6 Speed I had was great except for:

Water leaked from the heater motor down to the electrical on the front passenger floor which caused the starter relay to go bad, replaced it with a new upgraded one. Shortly afterward, the heater motor went bad. It was very easy to replace and had a rerouting of the drain hose which took care of the future water problem. Just in case, I put Die-Electric in the connections of the starter relay and put seran wrap (I think I pelled it wright) on top of all the electrical. That took care of that.

That starter had to be replaced (by the way, this car had 120,000 miles on it!!!).

The 12 CD Changer gave me trouble at times.

And of course, the ever popular fuel guage misreads. I don't know why GM doesn't have a recall on this. it seems that every C5 will experience this sometime.

All in all, the car was a tribute to the reliability the new C5's have.

I was anxious to be one of the first to have over 150K on a C5, but someone made me an offer I couldn't refuse!!!

Chuck

97 C5 107,000 mi still running like a champ. I do 1,000mi/week.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom