Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Powder Coated Frame

firstgear

Corvette
15 Z06, 01 Vert, 63 SWC & 60 ALL RED
got my frame back....it looks great....semi gloss black powder coated....the coaters ran it through their power wash line then phosphated it and finally gave it two coats of powder. They coated it first and put it in the oven, then to over come the faraday cage effect, they coated it again with minimal electrostatic voltage and relied on the temperature of the frame to "melt" the powder on impact enabling them to get in the difficult to coat areas. So the frame essentially got two coats of powder paint on it....feels good and looks good....it is so nice to work with clean and painted parts.

IMG_5544s-vi.jpg

also got back the rear differential housing and the other pieces of the suspension front and rear that were also powder coated silver and then gone over again with clear powder coating. They look great, Sharon's comments to me is that the parts look like bike parts.....they came out great!
IMG_5545s-vi.jpg

above, Ford 9" rear

below some of the suspension parts that were silver and clear powder coated...
IMG_5546s-vi.jpg

Finally assembling for REAL......now everything gets torqued to final specifications as well as Loctite blue or red applied as appropriate.....nice to know it isn't coming back apart....well, at least that is the plan.......

Got the first parts hung on the frame, the rear coil over shocks, but found a couple of parts that needed to be powder coated as well...took them in the sand blast cabinet.....got them ready to take with me tomorrow....hopefully the lab guys can get them coated for me.....stay tuned...more progress coming....
IMG_5547s-vi.jpg

Herb it looks great.

When I was building my car I had some trouble with tightening things, So I made a rule No fastener was left un torqued. and once it was torqued I would put a red daub of permanent marker on it (this wipes off with acetone) I think I may have spent more time double checking all of the fasteners then actually building the car.

Yup its fun and easy to work on a clean and freshly painted car.

Lastly when I was building the 62 I worked so hard on the undercarriage, Taping areas so I would not scratch them only to put the body back on and realise not much can be seen because of how low the car sits.

Have fun and be safe

IH2LOSE said:
Herb it looks great.

When I was building my car I had some trouble with tightening things, So I made a rule No fastener was left un torqued. and once it was torqued I would put a red daub of permanent marker on it (this wipes off with acetone) I think I may have spent more time double checking all of the fasteners then actually building the car.
This is a really good suggestion....as I was putting the shocks on last night I realized that I would need to make sure everything was proper because once I went on, I was never going to remember.....I found myself having a hard time remembering which bolt was going where....some I coudl remember, others hmmmmmmm

IH2LOSE said:
Lastly when I was building the 62 I worked so hard on the undercarriage, Taping areas so I would not scratch them only to put the body back on and realise not much can be seen because of how low the car sits.

Have fun and be safe.
that was the conclusion I came to.....if someone really wants to see underneath, then they are going to have to get really really low....

Hello Herb
Your frame looks really nice. I look forward to seeing pics of it as it comes together
I will keep checking back to see how things are. I have been very busy and slacking off on visiting the forum......sorry
Tom

henny496 said:
Hello Herb
Your frame looks really nice. I look forward to seeing pics of it as it comes together
I will keep checking back to see how things are. I have been very busy and slacking off on visiting the forum......sorry
Tom
I need everyone's help going forward now, as this is for REAL. I am torquing and loctiting as I go and I am sure there will be questions as I go. Don't be too far away!

Herb

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom