Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

powder coating plenum

wilton

Corvette
'89 Black Sapphire
I am getting some parts powder coated on my '89. :thumb

I'm considering the plenum and runners along with the valve covers.

Does anybody have warnings or advice about doing these particular parts?:confused

Thanks...

Wilton
Member Corvettes Anonymous

I am getting some parts powder coated on my '89. :thumb

Does anybody have warnings or advice about doing these particular parts?:confused

Having done the same on my 1978 & 1980 (powder coated parts), make sure the runners don't have dings in them & make sure all the blemishes are out (deep lines, dings, gouges, etc). Otherwise, you'll have pretty powder coating over stuff that shows underneath it.

What color are you doing anyway?

Thanks...So no air flow problems etc?;shrug

Not totally sure on color(s) yet. The old girl is Black Sapphire w/red striping. Considered red valve covers w/chrome plenum & runners. My buddy said RED EVERYTHING! That might work, huh? :confused:confused

Thanks...So no air flow problems etc?;shrug

Not totally sure on color(s) yet. The old girl is Black Sapphire w/red striping. Considered red valve covers w/chrome plenum & runners. My buddy said RED EVERYTHING! That might work, huh? :confused:confused

Red would be cool... but a red plenum against chrome runners would look nice!:upthumbs

FWIW- my L48 w/TPI had a blue plenum & polished aluminum runners.

The airflow shouldn't be a problem- you aren't painting those parts, right? If someone else is painting them, they should mask over the inlets on the plenum & runners.:thumb

First, everything should be media blasted to get a good clean surface.

Then, the guy that did my powder coating taped off the gasket flange surfaces and used plugs for bolt and accessory holes.

Everything was powder coated, then clear coated.

100_0531.jpg

100_0532.jpg

I am getting some parts powder coated on my '89.
Does anybody have warnings or advice about doing these particular parts?Thanks...Wilton Member Corvettes Anonymous
Use an experienced powder coater who does automotive work. This will help when using temps. and times for out gassing alum. mag. and other metals including masking. Typically all coaters will media blast all parts first before pre-heating. Almost everything on mine except for the block and heads has been coated , this includes, intake, v. covers, trans case, pans, rear end case, half, shafts, d. shaft, c beam , all brackets etc.etc.
p. coater I use: Q.C. COATINGS
x2uu13.jpg

2hyjbdu.jpg

Holy Moly! That's a lot of powder. It looks fantastic!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom