Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Power side mirrors not working - blown fuses

JohnnyC

Corvette
1996 Black Coupe - LT4
Both my side mirrors do not move. I checked the fuse box and the 5 amp fuse was blown. I thought that would be an easy fix, so I replaced. That new one blew. I tried to replace with 10 and then 20 amp fuses, both blew. All as soon as i turned the ignition i could hear the pop.

Do i have a short some where? Should i start with inside the door panel?

Both my side mirrors do not move. I checked the fuse box and the 5 amp fuse was blown. I thought that would be an easy fix, so I replaced. That new one blew. I tried to replace with 10 and then 20 amp fuses, both blew. All as soon as i turned the ignition i could hear the pop.

Do i have a short some where? Should i start with inside the door panel?
Risky business, using higher rated fuses. If you have and can read a wiring diagram, look for circuits sommon to both motors; perhaps at the switches and probably a short. The switches are also easier to reach than the mirrors.

FWIW, my driver side mirror only worked in one direction (no blowm fuses) and cleaning the harness connector fixed it. :w

DO NOT use higher rated fuses as an electrical troubleshooting tool. At the least you risk damage to components and wiring. You're also likely to have an electrical fire.

You have a short somewhere in the harness that goes to the side mirrors.

The first thing to do is pull the door panels and inspect the wiring and components for damage caused by the short. You also may need to inspect parts of the wiring behind the dashboard and you may need to remove and/or disassemble the sideview mirrors to see if the actuators themselves are shorted or damaged.

If the components and wiring have not been damaged, then you need to troubleshoot the mirror system.

The Factory Service Manual for your model year contains, wiring diagrams, component locater drawings and service procedures. It's unlikely you'll be able to fix this problem without the FSM.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom