Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Power steering control valve leak

TOMMAY

Corvette
74 L48,MM Red
My control valve is leaking pretty bad and I've got another one ordered,but it won't be in till next week.I was wondering if that power steering fluid with stop leak in it would do any good and if it would be harmful in any way to the rest of the power steering system.I'd like to drive the car this weekend.

Thanks

Tom

Tom,

I would not add the stop leak..

It sounds as though you are on the right track with getting a replacement control valve (at mimimum they should be rebuilt).

You probably are getting the Control Valve, Power Steering Ram and hose's?? If so you will still need to use the existing Power Steering Pump. I have no idea what the additive would do to the pump, seals and pump itself. Probably nothing, but I tend to be conservative in these things, going so far as to flush the pump before making final connections ;)

Good Luck, and if you need more information about the swap.. just go to the Search feature from the top of the page (tab) and look for "power steering" in the C3 Section and you will have tons of information to read ;)

Thanks,I'll take your advice.

Actually,the valve was rebuilt just before I bought the car and the ram is new.Guess that means I won't have a rebuildable core to exchange.

I was talking to one of our techs and he agrees with you,says the stop leak will swell the seals and ruin the pwr steering pump.

I was going to order a new GM valve but it was over 300 dollars.The rebuilt ones are around a ninety plus an equal core charge.After market new ones are around one fifty.I've ordered a rebuilt one cause they didn't have a new one in stock,but I'm trying to get a new one from another source,VPS in St Petersburg.

Guess I'll just spend the weekend cleaning and waxing.

Thanks again

Tom

Whats funny is that Vette Brakes gives a 5 year warranty on their rebuilt control valve and cylinder and a 1 year warranty on their new ones. Guess that means the rebuilt stuff is better quality???

I'm lucky that I have had no problems with my rebuilt unit so far. Hope it stays that way. Good luck.

Regards,

Jim

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom