Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Power Steering Conversion Project

Corvette
1964 Red Convertible
Finally finished installation of the Corvette Steering
power steering conversion kit, and all the other
"while-I-am-at-it" projects that came up, such as
having the manifolds coated at Jet-Hot, some
fiberglass repairs to the firewall and inner fenders,
etc.

The conversion (or project as Tom at Corvette Steering
likes to refer to it) was pretty straight forward. The
instructions on their website are very useful, and the
kit came with everthing I needed with the exception of
one of the mounting bolts that was a bit too short for
my liking. I had more problems getting a set of
pulleys that lined up correctely with the power
steering pump set-up. I definitely like the road feel of the
new system, and am only sorry I did not do this
sooner.

I am attaching a pic of the final set-up

What made you chose this system over installing a stock set up,or even the steeroids system?

I did a lot of research on this and other forums on this very question. The numerous hoses on the stock system and (potential) leaking problems that came with all those components caused me to steer away from that route. The Steeroids version also seemed to have some issues, albeit none seemed to be major. The Steeroids kit was a bit more in terms of cost.

I've drove chevy vehicles all my life (only owned one Ford and it was the old Pinto that had the potential of blowing up). I've never had a power steering gearbox problem, so decided to go with the Corvette Steering Kit. There was very little on the forums about this unit, but what I could find was positive. Its still early to hang my hat on it being the best choice, but so far I am very pleased

looks like a really clean installation. Do you know what steering box they use for the kit? Is is a 1960's or 1970's factory box of some sort?

I use this same box on my 68 with an MR2 electric power steering pump. Since I have 17 in tires PS is manditory. This setup has just as good a feel to it as my 90 ZR1. I have had the car up to 150 mph with no loss of feel.

Tyler

Find this power steering conversion very interesting. Tried the Corvette Steering website but it does not load. Is there a problem or am I missing the correct url?

Thanks...Dave

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom