Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

power steering done blowed up

Dammit man

Corvette
1996 LT4 CE
Took the Vette to the track today. Had a ball up untill the power steering blow up. Oil all over the place :puke . Has this happened to anyone else? Should I replace the rack and the pump. I can not see where the leak is.
When replacing the rack do I have to remove the water pump ect.

By the way I blow the doors off a 2004 ZO6 :r . Got to love the LT4
;LOL ;LOL ;LOL

Love the smiles

Ben

I think that I could give you a run in my Z06. :D Some people who own them cannot drive them.

The power steering fluid gets a lot warmer when you're working it too. It isn't unusual for people to blow out their power steering pumps or seals when doing track time. That's a reason they offer power steering coolers as an option.

Your brake fluid will experience high temperatures as well when autocrossing and road racing. That's a reason a lot of people change their fluid on a yearly basis, if not more often, when racing their Corvettes. You don't need water in there when the temps go up. :nono

I have been doing track days with my lt4 for many years. I am now on my 3rd powersteering pump, 2nd rack and about 10th high pressure hose.

The pumps and rack were replaced early on under warranty. I had a defective rack from the factory and when I started doing track days, it caused a couple of pump failures until I convinced the dealer to replace the rack. With the replacement rack I have had no pump problems for several years and about 3000 track miles.

The high pressure hose seems to be a weakness on my car. I suspect that it is due to the LT1 system just being under designed for the higher rpms of the LT4. Several times I have had the pressure hose start leaking at the pump fitting during a track day. It then gets on the belt and sprays all over the engine. Now I just replace it about once a year and have had no problems since.

If the hose is not actually blown out you should be able to clean up the mess, top off the PS fluid and take it for a short drive to see where it is leaking from, but I suspect it is the pressure hose at the pump fitting.

Some recommendations if you plan on doing a lot of track days.
1) run 10w30 instead of 5w30 engine oil, Mobil 1 or Redline 1 work great for me

2) Flush the brake fluid completely. I use Motul RBF600

3) Replace the aluminum pistons in the front brake calipers with stainless steel pistons from Doug Rippie

4) Use racing brake pads from PFC, Carbotech, or Hawk

5) Change the transmission fluid to a good synthetic like Redline MTL

6) Change the differential fluid to a good synthetic like Redline 75w90

7)When you fix the Power Steering use a good synthetic PS fluid like Redline

8) Check for oil leaks at the front and back of the intake manifold.

9) Add cooling ducts to the front brakes. You can make up some from rain gutter parts and plastic hose from Home Depot or Lowes.

10) Check your wheel bearings regularly

I've probably got more than 5000 track miles on my car and with regular maintainence it has been very reliable over the years.

The LT4 is a good car, but a well driven Z06 will be several seconds a lap faster. Thats progress.

Cheers,

Lawrence

Thanks Lawrence,

I have some of the above items already. And with you info I will continue to upgrade.
From 1-10 how hard is it to take the rack out and replace?

Ben

P.S. As for the ZO6. It was the first time on a track form both of us.
I won !!!!!

Dammit man said:
As for the ZO6. It was the first time on a track form both of us.
I won !!!!!

Congratulations on your win! I fully respect the LT4. It is a very fine engine.

Dammit man said:
Thanks Lawrence,

I have some of the above items already. And with you info I will continue to upgrade.
From 1-10 how hard is it to take the rack out and replace?

Ben

P.S. As for the ZO6. It was the first time on a track form both of us.
I won !!!!!

The rack is a pain but not difficult if you have the right tools. The trickiest part are the hose fittings at the rack. I use a crows foot flare nut wrench (18mm 6 point from MAC tools) and a 4 foot extention to get these off. Other than that, you just use a tie rod puller to pop the tie rods off, unbolt the rack and slide it out the side.

Cheers,

Lawrence

Why the 4 foot extension?? :confused Do you have to turn the nut from the engine compartment??

c4cruiser said:
Why the 4 foot extension?? :confused Do you have to turn the nut from the engine compartment??

Actually I was wrong, I use a 24 inch extension on that one. Yes, you get it from the top since there is no room around the rack to turn a wrench. The extension gets you up high enough to get a ratchet on it.

Cheers,

Lawrence

I have 5000 track miles on my LT4 and never blew up power steering anything.

although it does whine when hot. even with red line fluid.

Well I change out the pump the rack and the presure hose. The hose had blown. The car has a 100,000 miles on it so it was about time. Turns great now.

Z06

DRTH VTR said:
I think that I could give you a run in my Z06. :D Some people who own them cannot drive them.
Congrats on the win Dammit Man!Hey DRTH VTR,what does yours run in the 1/4?

13.2 for the 1/4. I still had traction problems with that run so I should get better

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom