Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Power steering hard sometimes

Bill Coke

Corvette
1998 Sebring Silver Coupe and 1978 Lt Blue Coupe
This may have been discussed and on a forum I did see a 2005 or 2004
post on this but not the solution. I find my steering is sometimes hard.
When turning just backing up out of the driveway or on the road and
turning either direction. DOn't see that it has anything to do with the
unit and no leaks. Seems someone somewhere did mention a module that
controls the steering and I don't know enough about it to say more. Has
anyone had this experience? My C5 is a 99 Coupe.
Appreciate any assistance.
Thanks,
Bill ;shrug

Bill, I'm not sure if this is the same issue as 'Morning sickness' that some rack and pinon steering units have or not, but GMJunkie has recommended sucking out the fluid from the reservoir and put Lucas Power steering fluid in. Then work the wheels lock to lock a couple times.

I think this is the procedure as Jesse described. Maybe he will jump in here and give it to you in his own words.

GMJunkie are you out there?

OK Bill, I found junkie's recipe:

GMJunkie said:
With front of car raised,I remove the return line off the reservoir and plug reservoir with a rubber plug!
1. Put the end of the line in a bucket!!(Secure so it won't jump out of the bucket!!)
2.Have helper start car and turn wheels Lt to Rt several times while you pour fresh fluid through the reservoir!! (about 2-3 qt's!!)
3.Shut off car and re-connect return line!!
4. Add 6 oz (1/2 of 12 oz bottle) Lucas Power steering stop leak and conditioner, top off with fresh fluid to add line!!http://www.lucasoil.com/products/dis...tid=2&loc=show

5.Start car and turn wheels lock to lock several times to purge air out of system while adding fresh fluid!! (Do Not Over fill!!)
6.Lower vehicle,Check fluid and drive vehicle around the block each direction a couple times and recheck fluid level and top off if needed!!:thumb

Restored smooth power steering operation are usually Immediate,but can take a few miles depending on severity!!:thumb:thumb

Guam,,,,Welcome to CAC! :w You'll find a lot of helpful people here, who are willing to lend a hand or at least helpful advice.

I can't say why this happens, just that the fix I posted earlier work most of the time. If you are experiencing this condition I highly recommend that you follow the instructions. I think you'll find the problem will go away in most cases. :thumb

What causes this?
In most cases,Lack of maintenance!:thumb

Power steering fluid is like any other fluid in a vehicle and should be replaced every so often!:thumb:thumb

Condensation and chemical package brake down can cause a sludge or varnish to form and gum up working components!:thumb:thumb:thumb

I service all of my vehicles PS systems about 40-50,000 miles!:thumb

Cheap insurance!~~~!!:D

Thanks for stopping in here Jesse, and clarifying my answer.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom