Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Power Steering on '61

• Thread starter Thread starter Orange 01 SS
  • Start date Start date
O

Orange 01 SS

Hi!

My dad has had this '61 Corvette for the last 30 years, and he ended up getting a nerve disease that makes it hard for him to manhandle it anymore. The car is original from the paint to the self-lubricating greasy chassis, so making a lot of obvious modifications or cutting things up isn't really what he's looking for.

Is there any kind of power steering that would "seem" right on this car? Does anything fit? Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks!

Craig

get-photo.asp

Neat car! Short of replacing the complete front suspension with a Jim Meyer unit with a power rack & pinion and re-mounting the engine from the side so it'll accept a power steering pump mount, I'm not aware of any C1 power steering conversion that I'd consider safe and reliable. There may be some out there that folks have fabricated without replacing the front suspension, but I haven't seen any personally.
:beer

Thanks. :)

I'm not saying you're wrong, because I really don't know a lot about it, but I have heard about guys using PS pumps from things like '61 Impalas on these. Replacing the front suspension is out of the question, so I guess I'm just fishing for someone with experience with other types of retrofit.

Yes, that's a possibility too - the passenger cars of that era with power steering used a pump that bolted up to the back of the generator (same special generator with an extended armature shaft that Corvettes used to drive the tach drive gearbox); that approach would work (assuming there's clearance between the valve cover and fender inner for the pump), but you'd have to give up the tach (nothing to drive it).
:beer

I checked this out when I was restoring my 61 and decided against it. There are bolt on kits available but as John Z suggests there is a big question mark when it comes to safety. Seems there have been reports of third arm assemblies failing due to the additional stress ( from the PS unit) on these already old (and obviously fatigued) parts.

Orange 01 SS said:
Hi!

My dad has had this '61 Corvette for the last 30 years, and he ended up getting a nerve disease that makes it hard for him to manhandle it anymore. The car is original from the paint to the self-lubricating greasy chassis, so making a lot of obvious modifications or cutting things up isn't really what he's looking for.

Is there any kind of power steering that would "seem" right on this car? Does anything fit? Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks!

Craig

get-photo.asp
sweet looking car......hope your dad gets better......driving that car would certainly put a smile on my face......

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom